Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > BaccStarter > Japanese peasants
TOPIC: Japanese peasants
PM n815e
Standard User
Japanese peasants
n815e
5th Feb 2015 02:11:59

I would love to see peasants for the Samurai range.  Maybe a pack with farm implements and one with bamboo spears. They would be useful for a variety of forces in the period and would allow the creation of Ikko-Ikki forces.

PM Twitchy
Standard User
Japanese peasants
Twitchy
5th Feb 2015 03:33:15

Suggest that you might like to look at:

[[ECW05]] - Clubmen

... as a substitute, while the sculptors are hard at work. If you use a little imagination with the paint job and perhaps some green stuff to make 'coolie' hats, then you might end up with something that will look about right from a distance. Some of the figures have muskets. Others have a variety of pointy sticks.

I have just taken a very close look at mine with a magnifying hood - the catalogue photo doesn't really do them justice.

Hope this helps.

PM n815e
Standard User
Japanese peasants
n815e
6th Feb 2015 09:01:27

Twitchy,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I think that I could get away with a substitution like that on some of those small models, like 3mm.  On detailed models like Baccus 6mm, it would be just too obvious.

PM HestonFan
Standard User
Japanese peasants
HestonFan
5th Mar 2015 05:51:42

I am really interested in peasants of the Asian variety.  I am currently working on a Taiping rebellion project.  Most of the combatants wore silk tops and pants and various headgears.  I want to use baccus' japanese retainers as Taiping and Imoerial soldiers.   I will give them turbans and longer spears and try to figure out how to model some matchlocks.  This conflict took place from 1851-1866.  You would think that the models would not work.  

I never would have considered the club men as Asian peasants.  I will have to give them some consideration.  I wish there were better pictures of them.  The current picture looks washed out.

I have not had a good look at the retainers but I believe they will work.  6mm is great for embellishing details with broad strokes. For an example of this check out my blog...

nerdwargamer.blogspot.com

I have some Asian peasants on there that I am currently working on.  I have a lot of baccus 6mm models on there.  I am not encouraging you to do what I did. I am only showing you what can be done in 6mm conversion wise.

Www.Nerdwargamer.blogspot.com                                                                             Games played = Piquet, DbA and DbMM 6mm, Irregular Wars

PM peter
Administrator
Japanese peasants
peter
9th Mar 2015 08:46:14

One reason what I've never done Ikko-Ikki 'peasants' is that given the amount of captured equipment that accumulated, I think that very quickly they would have taken on the appearance of their opponents!   If you do feel the need to have something a little less regular, why not dip into the mediaeval range and use the retainers and Sohei to add a little something to your bases?

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM Broeders
Standard User
Japanese peasants
Broeders
21st Mar 2015 09:44:45

I tend to use ashigaru as they are easy to convert to basic peasants (remove sashimono and file helmet down). Rapier Indian Swordsmen convert easily to unarmoured ronin / Sohei.  Failing that any medieval spear-armed troops could do. 

PM frnqtr
Standard User
Japanese peasants
frnqtr
24th May 2015 10:01:33

I would love to see Japanese peasants added to the line

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter