Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > BaccStarter > Request Extension of Late Medieval/Wars of the Roses Range
TOPIC: Request Extension of Late Medieval/Wars of the Roses Range
PM MykeCole
Standard User
Request Extension of Late Medieval/Wars of the Roses Range
MykeCole
20th Aug 2016 07:39:20

I'd like to request Irish troops: Kerns and Galloglass. If I had those, I could make an army for Stoke Field in 6mm, which would be awesome.

I'd absolutely buy a bunch of these and I bet others would too. Thanks for considering.

PM Le Comte de Froufrou
Standard User
Le Comte de Froufrou
26th Aug 2016 09:57:25

Been over some of this in the proxies threads. Greek psiloi would make acceptable kerns. Gallowglass are more difficult, but you might be able to get away with using Saxon huscarls.

PM MykeCole
Standard User
MykeCole
26th Aug 2016 12:13:09

I'm not convinced that either would provide the look I want.

The Kerns at Stoke Field would have worn tunic that's opened at the front, with a deep V at the neckline. Many, if not most, would have been carrying shileds, and would have had long hair and beards. Some would have worn steel helmets.Ancient psiloi of any stripe miss this.

Many Galloglass would have wielded two-handed swords, or had long, angel-winged sleeves visible outside their mail. Some would have worn predecessors to the cabbaset or morion we now typically associate with the emerging pike & shot period. None would have carried the round or kite shields of the distinct type used by Anglo-Danish Huscarls. 

To me, wargaming is all about visualization and theater-of-the-mind. Having the right sculpts is an important part of this.

PM MykeCole
Standard User
MykeCole
26th Aug 2016 12:14:37

I should add that I'm aware some of this would be possible by doing a conversion. But I am looking to pay someone else to handle that for me (in this case, Peter).

PM Le Comte de Froufrou
Standard User
Le Comte de Froufrou
26th Aug 2016 01:47:15

To be honest, I agree completely. Proxies with some figures are acceptable. With Bacccus, I don't think so. The figures are nice enough that  want the real figure, not a sub.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
25th Apr 2024

Pre 1st May by DuncanWB
23rd Apr 2024

Save the Date! BBB BASH DAY V, Daventry, Sunday 19 May 2024 by ChrisBBB
23rd Apr 2024

Pre 1st May by dourpuritan
23rd Apr 2024

Pre 1st May by njt236
22nd Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS