Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > 6mm starting out
TOPIC: 6mm starting out
PM Bradley
Standard User
6mm starting out
Bradley
5th Jan 2016 02:20:12

Hello

So I have youtubed and done some research into 6mm.  I am coming from primarily a sci fi 28mm background.  I played dbm in its heydey 10 years ago with 15mm.  I have a desire to start playing historicals and love the look of the massed armies that only 6mm can give.  Looking at rulesets I am interested in the rules on this site as well as Black Powder.  I also like the Across a deadly field ACW rules by John Hill.  Is it possible to have an army based for multiple rule sets using 6mm?  Do you just use the same bases as are described in a said ruleset and just put more figures on them?  So I could play against people with 15mm or 25mm armies as long as my bases are correct?

Sorry for the ramble, putting an order together as the detail of these baccus figs is remarkable comparing them to other manufacturuers.

Thanks

Bradley

PM Bradley
Standard User
6mm starting out
Bradley
5th Jan 2016 03:56:53

Ok I just took the plunge!  I ordered just 1 pack of Republican Romans, and 1 pack of ACW infantry to try my hand and see how it goes.  If it goes as I hope it does I will soon be fielding ACW and Ancient armies to fight to the death with in my garage!

Wish me luck!

Bradley

PM ithoriel
Standard User
6mm starting out
ithoriel
6th Jan 2016 02:54:15

Good luck! :-)

I like the visual effect of small (3mm/ 6mm/ 10mm) figures these days. I find them easier to paint too. No feeling of compulsion to paint highlights in the eyes of Baccus figures, unlike my old 28mm Sci-fi and Fantasy!

En masse, the smaller scales allow you to get a much better sense of commanding an army rather than a band of skirmishers.

I'm currently painting some Sumerian armies using a mix of Baccus figures and some from another manufacturer. Once done I will have two Sumerian city-state armies of roughly the same number of figures as the real smaller city-states actually fielded. I wouldn't have the painting time, cash or space for that in 28mm!!

So, have fun painting them, I hope you have many happy 6mm gaming years with them.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

PM peter
Administrator
6mm starting out
peter
6th Jan 2016 10:17:21

You can use a number of approaches with basing:

1) Use a standard base for all figures and make the rules you use work with this.  Not as hard as it sounds.

2) Take the 'footprint' of a single 28mm figure as defined in the rules (eg 25mm square) and replace the big un with 8 or 12 proper sized figures.   FIgure removal then works perfectly well.

3) Base figures on teeny weeny 20mm square bases and use magnetic bases or sabots to organise them depending on the rules you are using.

All have their pros and cons and all have their supporters.   It's a matter of what works for you.  For the record my preference is for 1) above using 60x30 bases.   No real surprise there...

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM Bradley
Standard User
6mm starting out
Bradley
6th Jan 2016 01:11:26

Thats the thing.  6mm would be amazing in an Isandlawana diorama, or refight.  The regiments look like regiments.  This is what is drawing me to them.  I like dba so could play dba on dba bases with 6mm and it would be fantastic to look at.  

I started off with a small order just to get a feel for painting my 2 favorite periods.  The civil war 2 player army set is definately on my wish list for this month!

Brad

Email Extra Crispy PM Extra Crispy
Standard User
6mm starting out
Extra Crispy
6th Jan 2016 01:52:12

As a complete rules junkie I always base for maximum flexibility. For my 6mm that means basing everything on 20x20 mm steel bases. This allows me to cut movement trays out of sheet magnet very, very quickly.

Obsession over basing is definitely more "old school" these days. Black Powder is basing agnostic so long as units are *roughly* the same width. So long as you know if units are small or big, it doesn't matter.

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
ScaleCreep.com
DeepFriedHappyMice.com

PM Bradley
Standard User
6mm starting out
Bradley
6th Jan 2016 02:03:08

The rules I have played primarily have been DBM, DBA, WRG 7th, Micro armour, games workshop when I was younger.  I have been out of wargaming for about 5 years due to raising babies and work.  Now I have broken out the paints and am getting back in.  I could convince friends to play once I have some massed armies ready.  They already drool over my wargames illustrated at work :)

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
6mm starting out
Glenn Pearce
6th Jan 2016 04:45:49

Hello Bradley!

Great choice Baccus 6mm, you will be more then pleased when your armies are finished.

Yes you can just put 6mm figures on other scale sizes bases, but you might lose the true value of 6mm. The most popular way today has been as Peter mentioned. The so called "standard basing" that is used in Polemos, 60mm x 30mm for infantry, cavalry, limbers, wagons, etc., and 30mm x 30mm for artillery and commanders. Only two base sizes for your entire collection. You can play almost any rule set with them, some as is, while others just require a few minor rule changes. Another great advantage is they match the way Peter sells his figures, so you have no left over figures. There is also the chance that you might hook up with other players and you can often also buy them on ebay. It's just a win, win situation, not to mention how good they look as mini dioramas.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM Fenton
Standard User
6mm starting out
Fenton
6th Jan 2016 08:16:30

I tend to take the recommended base size for 15mm and fill it with 6mm figures

PM Bradley
Standard User
6mm starting out
Bradley
6th Jan 2016 08:38:21

I think this is what I am going to do.  For FOG and DBx use the 40xwide bases.  For the ACW I will be using the rules off this site so use the 60x bases.  Ill post a pick in a couple weeks of what my first finished product looks like.  Hopefully it will be useable!

Brad

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Pre 1st May by DuncanWB
23rd Apr 2024

Save the Date! BBB BASH DAY V, Daventry, Sunday 19 May 2024 by ChrisBBB
23rd Apr 2024

Pre 1st May by dourpuritan
23rd Apr 2024

Pre 1st May by njt236
22nd Apr 2024

Renaissance Turks? by Rittmeister_Krefeld
22nd Apr 2024