Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Hail Ceaser Rules.
TOPIC: Hail Ceaser Rules.
PM baz baziah
Standard User
Hail Ceaser Rules.
baz baziah
10th Jan 2016 07:27:00

What base sizes do you recommend for using your figures with the Hail Ceaser rules?

Jim

Billy Fish: He wants to know if you are gods?
Peachy Carnehan: Not gods - Englishmen. The next best thing.

PM Fenton
Standard User
Hail Ceaser Rules.
Fenton
10th Jan 2016 11:10:10

We used 2 40x40 side by size for each unit

PM peter
Administrator
Hail Ceaser Rules.
peter
11th Jan 2016 12:36:43

Judging by previous replies to this sort of question,you'll get 12 replies and 15 differing suggestions...

The army packs are organised around the three 40x20 (spit!*) bases to a standard unit.    This was mostly done to maintain continuity with the old Warmaster system which was effectively the predecesor set to HC.

HC are actually pretty flexible and can handle most chosen options for basing.  

As it happens, two 60x30 bases to a unit works really well, and the HC army packs will work for that format.

* As long time members of this forum may recall, 40x20 bases are the work of Satan himself and should be eliminated at the first opportunity.  I am now going to lie down in a darkened room...

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM baz baziah
Standard User
Hail Ceaser Rules.
baz baziah
11th Jan 2016 05:09:00

I'm so glad you said 40x20 shoulkd be eliminated!

60x30 sound so much better, I had for many years used the standard DBM 40mm frontage for all my 15mm figures but since being introduced to Impetus and its larger 80mm bases I cant see myself going back and 40mm bases now look so small even for 6mm figures.

Having just picked up a copy of Hail Ceaser on Evil-Bay for a few quid I can now get an army pack and set too. I'm thinking of going with 4 rows of 10 figures for heavy infantry on a 60mm forntage to leave a nice "margin" around the base edge in order to avoid "figure squeeze" when moving the bases around.

Jim

Billy Fish: He wants to know if you are gods?
Peachy Carnehan: Not gods - Englishmen. The next best thing.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Hail Ceaser Rules.
dourpuritan
12th Jan 2016 03:25:16

Good to hear that the 60x30 work well for HC. Working on some Romans myself at the mo.

A little goes a long way

PM peter
Administrator
Hail Ceaser Rules.
peter
13th Jan 2016 09:39:25

40mm frontage for 6mm ancients figures really started with Phil Barker's DBA rules.   He simply had no idea about what to do with anything sub-15mm, so he went for a, 'shove them on a 40mm base cos anything will do and only a few people actually use them', approach.

Wargamers being wargamers seemed to follow this as default and the idea that 6mm MUST be on 40mm bases stuck to the point where it was followed by all the successor systems such as DBMMMMMMMMMM, FoG etc.

40mm was a standard imposed on the 6mm community by people who actually used 15mm figures.   Why should we have to conform to that?

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM Bradley
Standard User
Hail Ceaser Rules.
Bradley
14th Jan 2016 03:03:38

Hello

So the Hail Ceasar army units are made to be based per Hail Ceasar rules or 60x30?  

Thanks

PM Poniatowski
Standard User
Hail Ceaser Rules.
Poniatowski
15th Jan 2016 09:26:32

Eureka! I think I get it now, having succumbed to temptation and acquired an HC Mecedonian Army pack at Newbury last year I have had a hard time understanding the use of 'generic' bases sizes as per DBA/FoG so I have placed some of my phalagists on suitably marked squared paper and its perfect for a 16 strip, half syntagmata at a 1:4 ratio. Genius! and much appreciated. What I am now concerned about now is how this style of basing works for Napoeonics given different nations have different company sizes and frontages plus the need for formation changes from column to line to square etc (yes, I have a butterfly mind and read too many history books).  Might try the 15mm basing idea, when the red jacketed chaps arrive.

Thanks guys.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Hail Ceaser Rules.
Glenn Pearce
15th Jan 2016 01:15:17

Hello Bradley!

Yes, either way or any other number of configurations. The best option however is 60x30 as Baccus has designed their figures to match this basing. Thanks to Peter this has pretty much now become known as the "standard" 6mm basing. Which means you often find other players basing this way, you can buy them on ebay already mounted and painted and they work very well with most major rule sets. Some at most might require a few simple rule changes. More importantly though is if you change periods you already have the basing and storing system, etc. in place. One basing system that fits all your requirements now and in the future. What could be better?

Best regards,

Glenn

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Hail Ceaser Rules.
Glenn Pearce
15th Jan 2016 01:36:06

Hello Poniatowski!

Long time since we last spoke. Trust your doing well.

Obviously everything I just said to Bradley covers my thoughts on 6mm basing in general.

Your concerns about Napoleonics are just as simple. Generally in 6mm were not too concerned about company sizes and formation changes. Most people in 6mm want to game the big battles. To reach that goal company sizes and formation changes are dropped. You can include them if you want with markers, etc., but most people in 6mm have found all of that to be a waste of time for no real gain. So the lowest level generally considered is the battalion/regiment which is based on 60x30. From there you can establish brigade frontages or even move up a notch to simply using them as brigades as is, or in pairs. Some even game them as Divisions. Your actual options are almost unlimited.

If you have any further concerns or questions please let me know.

Best regards,

Glenn

LATEST FORUM POSTS

New nomads by David Kay
29th Mar 2024

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi