Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Scale and size of the units
TOPIC: Scale and size of the units
PM Cwen
Standard User
Scale and size of the units
Cwen
1st Oct 2016 12:33:55

Howdy folks.

First of all, I'm a big newbie when it comes to Napoleonics, and I don't yet own a copy of Polemus. I come from a 15mm scale WW2 wargames but have developed an interest in Napoleonics via various YouTube channels and computer games such as Empire Total War. I am completely sold on 6mm as a scale for Napoleonics due to the sheer visuals of the large sized battles.

The one thing that I am not so keen on is the abstract nature of unit sizes in some rules, in particular the amount of figures on a base. I don't mind some abstraction, but the idea that 18 figures on a 60x30 base represents up to 3000 men, seems a little off to me. My question therefore is, does the Polemos ruleset scale to a company sized units, or event battalian sized units? I would ideally like a base of 60x30 with 3 rows of infantry, 36 figures in total, representing perhaps a company or batallion of men. 

Another thing I would like to know is the size of the artillery batteries. Does one gun on a base represent a battery of guns or simply 1 gun?

My apologies if these questions have already been asked.

Kind regards, Craig.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
1st Oct 2016 02:59:36

Hello Craig!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Baccus 6mm. It doesn't get any better.

Polemos Napoleonics are two rule sets in one. One uses brigade size bases 60x60 or two 60x30. That is where it covers 1500-2500 men. You need to use that scale to be able to game large battles on an average size table. You can also use them for regimental games which would be roughly 500-1500 men.

The second set (the other side of the rule book) covers smaller battles where the base 60x30 represents battlaion like units of 4-800 men.

In both sets you can use as many figures on a base as you like. Baccus sells their figures to match the basing. Formed infantry are 96 in a bag or 24 on a 60x30 base, cavalry 45 in a bag or 9 on a 60x30 base. If you want to use 36 infantry on a base simply mention this to Baccus when you place your order (ie you want fewer command stands for 36 figure units). A gun can represent a battery or a couple of them depending on which rule set your using.  

If you want to use even more bases or figures for a battalion then Baccus plans to release a new rule set this year that I wrote covering North American Wars 1754-1815 that will allow you to do that.

If I can help you with any further questions, just ask.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM Cwen
Standard User
Cwen
2nd Oct 2016 07:59:27

Hi Glenn.

Thank you for your enthusiastic and helpful reply. I'm glad to hear that the game can scale well and it looks like it should suit what I'm after. Now, the only problem now, what army to buy =)

Kind regards, 

Craig.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay