Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Mix & Matching 6mm Manufacturers?
TOPIC: Mix & Matching 6mm Manufacturers?
PM WillPhillips
Standard User
Mix & Matching 6mm Manufacturers?
WillPhillips
22nd Dec 2017 05:29:23

I'm strongly considering 6mm for a pair of late sixteenth century armies for use with Baroque to model the Hapsburg Spanish vs. the Dutch.

Given the limited number of figure poses in this scale, I'd like to be able to mix and match between manufacturers in the same unit, if possible.

I know Baccus is on the larger side, and that Irregular and H&R can be paired up.

What about Microworld's Renaissance line? They seem to be rather beefy. Would they match up well with Baccus' line?

Appreciate your input!

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
22nd Dec 2017 09:48:30

Wish I knew!... I will investigate though... Cheers

PM ROUGUE
Standard User
ROUGUE
22nd Dec 2017 11:22:58

Willphillips: I have both Baccus and Microworld Fantasy mostly Baccus while the Microworld are very nice casting's they are a little on the small side compared to Baccus. Keeping in mind in the real world not everybody is the same size I think they would look ok against your Baccus mini's you might want to keep them all together in the same unit rather than mix them in with Baccus mini's in the same unit. I hope this help's?

Rougue (mike)

PM peter
Administrator
peter
22nd Dec 2017 12:36:58

Given that period drill limits the actual number of poses required, what sort of thing are you looking for in the figures?

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM WillPhillips
Standard User
WillPhillips
22nd Dec 2017 09:59:02

Poses might have been the wrong term, but different molds beyond one or two figures per unit is just something I'd personally prefer.

Also doesn't help that I'm looking to find figures plausibly close enough to late sixteenth century armor and styles for these two armies (e.g. I have to work around or minimize both Landskenecht and certain TYW/ECW figure types).

Not here looking to raise a stink, just a casual wargamer considering the jump into 6mm for his favorite era, is all.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
23rd Dec 2017 03:02:04

Hello WillPhillips!

I don't think anybody believes your here to raise a stink. If you have questions about 6mm there is no better place to ask.

Your basic question about what matches up well can only be answered by yourself. You should first obtain samples from any firm that you think has some figures that interest you. Once you have them all paint them up and play around with how they will look together. Although some different firms are close in hight you will find that some are different widths, have different sized weapons and almost all of them have different sizes of horses, etc. You might like that look, but most wargamers don't. The figures I have that are not Baccus are not mixed with Baccus as I like a uniform look and some of them are just way too different in size.

Other then the commanders in 6mm your not really painting individual figures, but entire units. As all the details are lost beyond three feet. This is where Baccus has a slight edge as the uniformity of their figures actually makes the colours pop a little more from a distance. You also have to realize that painting figures in 6mm is an assembly line. So uniformity in design speeds up the painting process.

Hope this helps you out in some way.

Best regards,

Glenn 

PM peter
Administrator
peter
27th Dec 2017 01:10:29

In a way it all depends on how you wish the units to look.  I've always worked on the principle that period units had to be drilled and disciplined in order to function.   This meant that every man knew what weapons posture had to be adopted at what time, and doing just that.   If a pike formation was ordered to march, every soldier moved his pike to a vertical position (Order)  and held it there until ordered otherwise.   If Otto in the third rank, fifth file decided to go to shoulder and have a quick chat with Hans it would completely disrupt a large part of the unit and would make him very unpopular with his fellows, while his Sergeant would very quickly want a quiet word or two with him.   The consequence of musketeer Pedro deciding to load his musket differently to everyone else in his file could have potentially explosive results.

So yes, variation of pose may sound like a nice idea, but it doesn't' reflect historical practice and neither (to my eyes at least) look good.   Those who use bigger scales are particularly prone to using a large variety of conflicting poses in their units and every time I see another one proudly displayed my only thought is 'what a complete and utter shambles!'    A properly drilled unit would make mincemeat of them!  

Variation in dress in another matter, and yes, a mix of styles would be appropriate in some cases, especially if you are looking at Landskechte.   For most others, this would be most visible in headgear at 6mm.   

BUT, all the above s entirely my perspective and beauty is, as that say in the eye of the beholder.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Little battles with Ancients by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by Lanksta
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by peter
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by bushs
18th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS