Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Basing question
TOPIC: Basing question
PM Jonny
Standard User
Basing question
Jonny
21st Jan 2018 04:08:36

Hi everyone,

After thinking about it for a while and looking at lots of nicely painted armies I think I’m about to dip my toe into 6mm. The two periods I’m interested in doing are Napoleonics and the Punic Wars. I think I’m going to start with the Punic Wars and have bought the Basic Impetus ruleset.

Basic Impetus suggests using half 28mm unit frontage (120mm) for 6mm units, which is perfect because this would be 60mm, the ‘standard’ 6mm unit frontage that Is recommended by Baccus and some 6mm gamers.

My question is about unit depths in Basic Impetus. The rules suggest variable unit depths for gifferent unit types (light/medium/heavy infantry/cavalry etc) but I see that a 30mm unit depth for everything is recommended by Baccus and some 6mm gamers.

Does anyone play Basic Impetus at 6mm, and if so do you use variable unit depths or base everything with a 60mm frontage and 30mm depth?

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Jonny

PM zabarr
Standard User
Basing question
zabarr
22nd Jan 2018 04:46:48

I play basic impetus using 15mm measurements. More dudes per base! 

PM Jonny
Standard User
Basing question
Jonny
22nd Jan 2018 08:47:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I did see someone’s 6mm Impetus army based with 15mm measurements online and it did add to the mass feel of the army. Is 6mm using 15mm measurements commonplace for Basic Impetus players?

Jonny

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Basing question
dourpuritan
23rd Jan 2018 09:49:29

I play Impetus with 6mm and 10mm figures all on 60mm x 30mm. Works perfectly well. Nowadays I tend to use BI2 as the preferred version of the rules for playability, speed etc. As these use movement units of half base width then any frontage will work, but with 6mm I still think 60mm is the ideal.

A little goes a long way

PM Jonny
Standard User
Basing question
Jonny
23rd Jan 2018 08:23:31

Hi dourpuritan,

Thanks for the reply, I’ve done a lot more internetting over the last day or two and I think I am going to stick to 60mm x 30mm bases, with different amounts of models on them for different units. I think for my principe/hastatii bases I will do 4 ranks of 10 men, so they are at a ratio of 1:2 for a century. And do less models for skirmishers etc. It will also mean I don’t need to paint tons of models to get an army together. I have the BI2 rules as well, I look forward to giving them a go one day in the future!

Jonny

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Basing question
dourpuritan
24th Jan 2018 08:32:21

Hi Jonny,

I enjoyed BI2 so much that I have invested in a 6mm Roman Republican army. I will be facing these off against Hellenistic armies.

A little goes a long way

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by bushs
18th Apr 2024

The Army of Northern Virginia by ironass
17th Apr 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by DuncanWB
15th Apr 2024

2004 Shows by Whirlwind
15th Apr 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
15th Apr 2024