Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > WotR Irish
TOPIC: WotR Irish
PM Le Comte de Froufrou
Standard User
WotR Irish
Le Comte de Froufrou
6th May 2015 11:04:11

Getting the urge to do Wares of the Roses in 6mm. The Baccus range is great, but doesn't have Irish kerns, bonnacht or gallowglass (it doesn't have Scots highland archers, either). What would be the suggested proxies, particularly for the bonnacht and kern?

Other troops are less of a problem, but I'd really like to see the range expanded into an early C16th range to accommodate the early Italian Wars. Landsknechts anyone?

PM pushing.tin
Standard User
WotR Irish
pushing.tin
7th May 2015 12:36:08

I did some kerns for my 17th century irish and used  ASP02 - Spanish Caetratii with an appropriate paint job and some knifework on the ones with helmets to make it look more like hair. Some of the Viking range might do for bonnacht and gallowglass, as well as possibly Scots archers

PM Le Comte de Froufrou
Standard User
WotR Irish
Le Comte de Froufrou
12th May 2015 08:30:57

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for delaying my response. I'm not entirely sure about the caetrati, but it prompted me to look at using Greek psiloi as Irish. Gallowglass - perhaps Saxon huscarls, but I worry about the shields. One problem with Baccus figures is that they are so good. With most other manufacturers I'll happily use proxies. With Baccus, I'm rather more reluctant to. 

PM pushing.tin
Standard User
WotR Irish
pushing.tin
12th May 2015 09:18:04

Yes Greek Psiloi are probably a better bet, I see what you mean now I've looked at them, must have missed these when I was trying to find my own proxies!

I know what you mean about the figures being too good!

PM I am a spambot
Standard User
WotR Irish
I am a spambot
23rd May 2021 06:47:28

Wow!  Glad I decided to look back through the old poxy threads!  I am starting to do a couple of small Confedration of Kilkenny armies.  According to the DBR army lists, the Ulster army used "kerns with darts or skean" before 1646.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
WotR Irish
dourpuritan
23rd May 2021 10:44:39

Looking at the Saxon huscarls, some of them definitely are not carrying shields, slung or otherwise. Maybe you could do a swap of the shielded for unshielded with someone who is actually doing a Saxon army. In 1487 I don't think the landsknechts (or whoever it was Martin Schwartz was commanding) would have looked like C16th landsknechts. They would still be wearing the still fashionable tighter clothing of the C15th, but it would definitely have been striped and/or parti-coloured. A dedicated Italian Wars range would be a better option, as by 1500 fashion was definitely on the change and by then landsknechts were sporting slashed sleeves, and not long after slashed, parti-coloured and even absent leg coverings.

A little goes a long way

PM emu2020
Standard User
WotR Irish
emu2020
19th Jun 2021 04:39:23

Thanks for this. It gave me some ideas for filling in Early Medieval Scots, Welsh and Irish.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
WotR Irish
dourpuritan
20th Jun 2021 08:54:27

Be careful about the Welsh. All the WotR Welsh I've seen in other ranges appear to have been modelled on the C13th armies of Llewelyn. By the mid-C15th Welsh troops would look little different from English levy and retinue troops.

A little goes a long way

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Little battles with Ancients by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by Lanksta
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by peter
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by bushs
18th Apr 2024