Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > Spare AWI British Light Dragoons
TOPIC: Spare AWI British Light Dragoons
PM I am a spambot
Standard User
Spare AWI British Light Dragoons
I am a spambot
28th Oct 2015 01:02:28

I have a spare unit of American War of Independence British Light Dragoons that I would like to make use of within an AWI context.

So far as I can find out, there were only two British Army List cavalry regiments used in the AWI, the 16th and 17th Light Dragoons.  I have painted and based the 17th, and have started painting the 16th Light Dragoons.

Would it be sensible to attempt minor surgery on the headgear and paint them as Loyalist cavalry?  I know that Peter does do Loyalist cavalry, but I don't want a whole packet.  Presumably if I did that, the coats would be a nice green colour for the early years of the war.

Alternatively, were there rebel American cavalry units that used uniforms and headgear of a similar cut to the British light dragoons?

Thank you in anticipation.

PM njt236
Standard User
njt236
28th Oct 2015 04:35:47

The only unit I can find that has headgear the same as  that of the British Light Dragoons is the US Militia Philadelphia Light Dragoons. No need to alter the headgear. The jacket is shorter than that of the British though. Light buff breeches, black boots, brown jacket with white facings. Trumpeter white jacket, brown facings.

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

PM Spangenhelm
Standard User
Spangenhelm
29th Oct 2015 02:24:18

You could go with the British Legion for Loyalists: http://www.historicalimagebank.com/gallery/v/album01/album15/album43/Tarleton_email_version_wtrmkd_001.jpg.html  It would be hard to resist having Banastre Tarlton's boys in the line.  Just get some tube acrylic, and pull the plume all the way over the front of the mitre cap... front.. thing.  Whatever it is properly called.

If Continentals, 2nd Continental Dragoons are very fine looking with one of the rare known standards which is also very attractive in its own right.  https://www.tumblr.com/search/2nd-continental-light-dragoons  Just pull a line of thick acrylic along the front of the mitre to make a visor/bill. 

Ist Continental Dragoons - kinda meh, dull and drab.  http://www.historicalimagebank.com/gallery/v/album01/album15/1st+Continental+Light+Dragoon+Pvt_+Fall-Winter+1780-1781+watermarked+.jpg.html

3rd Continental Dragoons - very attractive color reversal from the 2nd. White with blue lapels and cuffs instead of blue with white distinctions. Black helmet instead of white.  http://www.schistory.net/3CLD/Articles/3dragoon.html

All easy conversions - just use thick acrylic tube paint or acrylic medium and carefully draw it where you want it.

PM I am a spambot
Standard User
I am a spambot
29th Oct 2015 07:41:07

Wow!  Thank you very much, njt236 and Spangenhelm.  That is five useful alternatives. :-)

Must admit that I hadn't thought of using acrylic filler to add bits to figures.  Can imagine it would work well on non-load bearing areas.

The rebels (with generals for both sides) arrived yesterday, so I will be starting them fairly soon.  Have undercoated the Hessian/Brunswick infantry, so not much more to do for the British.

PM Spangenhelm
Standard User
Spangenhelm
29th Oct 2015 05:43:10

Happy to help!  I had a massive AWI project in the works years and years ago and was surprised that I remembered much of it.  Also I found this site, which may be useful to you: http://www.acwgc.org/CCC_Am_Army/Flags.htm    The Union Jack canton would be replaced fairly early with the thirteen stripes.

PM I am a spambot
Standard User
I am a spambot
29th Oct 2015 09:52:27

And thank you for that site. I have book-marked it for future reference.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by bushs
18th Apr 2024

The Army of Northern Virginia by ironass
17th Apr 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by DuncanWB
15th Apr 2024

2004 Shows by Whirlwind
15th Apr 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
15th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS