Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > Proxies for Napoleonic Prussians
TOPIC: Proxies for Napoleonic Prussians
PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Proxies for Napoleonic Prussians
Whirlwind
15th Jan 2016 05:25:05

I know that Baccus currently does have a range of Napoleonic Prussians but I believe they are still in the earlier, "chunkier" style.  Personally I am a big fan of the newer sculpts - I adore the updated British, Spanish, Netherlanders and Russians - so I was eondering if either the early or late Prussian armies could be proxied using some of the more recent ranges.  For example, would any of the newer bicorne and shako infantry in the Spanish range approximate well for the early Prussians?  Or could French infantry in greatcoat plus British in stovepipe shako be used to make an 1813 force?  I wouldn't be adverse to mixing the genuine article command stands in with the proxies.  Does anyone have any ideas?

I know I could wait until Baccus get around to re-sculpting the range, but I'm impatient! And they are the last big Napoleonic Army on my "to do" list...

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
15th Jan 2016 06:48:27

Hello John!

I finished my 1815 Prussians last year and greatly enjoyed painting them all. However, I understand your concern. I think oddly enough that only the Prussian line are on the chunky side. There is a notable difference in their size compared to the militia in coats. It also appears that the line command officers were used for the militia but thats barely noticeable. I knocked off those militia guys like crazy and really there is no alternative other then the Russian Olpechnie which are almost identical. So for 1813 you might want to consider a mix of late French with covered shako in short coat, same in greatcoat and British in stovepipe for the line infantry. Militia, cavalry and artillery should be pretty close to what your after. I think it will also give your 1813 army some extra character.

For early Prussians 1806 they are also very close in size to the 1815 militia and the lines bicorne is slightly different then the Spanish or French. If your also going to do 1806 I would stick with all of them as is.

So I think overall it's just the 1815 line figures that are probably too chunky for you, everything else to me seems to be pretty close to what your after. If your still in doubt just order a single bag of anything your not comfortable with. You can still blend them into a large army and nobody will ever know except you.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Whirlwind
15th Jan 2016 07:41:32

Thanks very much for that Glenn. What did you reckon to the Reserve infantry - were they closer to the line or to the landwehr (if you bought any)?  I'm thinking of the NPR02 code and the associated skirmishers.

All the best,

John

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
15th Jan 2016 08:37:38

Hello John!

Definetly closer to the landwehr. The entire line matched up very well except the 1815 line infantry were slightly bigger in all ways. I enjoyed painting them all, even the line figures as it brought back memoires of my 25mm Prussian army that I painted almost 40 years ago.

On the table my Baccus 6mm are mixed in with Irregular 6mm Prussians that I painted 35 years ago. Nobody has even said one word about the different sizes. They all get lost in the sea of figures.

I liked the line figures so much that I plan on ordering some more when I update/add even more Prussians in a year or two. You just can't beat that classic shoulder roll look.

Best regards,

Glenn

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Renaissance Turks? by sgarnerteng
20th Apr 2024

Little battles with Ancients by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by Lanksta
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by peter