Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > Napoleonic Portuguese
TOPIC: Napoleonic Portuguese
PM andreasgum
Standard User
Napoleonic Portuguese
andreasgum
30th Oct 2016 02:30:00

I saw that the Portuguese flag set was available in the British product line for Napoleonics. Would the British line infantry be the best to use for Portuguese infantry? Is that what is implied? Or should I go with Spanish troops? Any suggestions? I want to give Wellington some auxiliary Portuguese troops in his Peninsular Campaign I'm preparing.

"I have resolved never to start an unjust war, but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies."
- Charles XII, King of Sweden

PM Bartman
Standard User
Napoleonic Portuguese
Bartman
30th Oct 2016 03:26:02

From what I understand, the Portuguese uniform was similar to British. Earlier troops would however have the Belgic shako, later the stovepipe. For the Caccatore (sp?) use the flank company minis.

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Napoleonic Portuguese
Whirlwind
2nd Nov 2016 10:07:34

Yes, for this size of figure it is pretty much the same (IIRC the differences are in the lace or lack of it; the shoulder decoration and so on).   Some pictures here

PM keithabarker
Standard User
Napoleonic Portuguese
keithabarker
3rd Nov 2016 08:40:20

As already pointed out, your best bet for Portuguese infantry is to use British. The only problem you will get is that the British infantry command strip comes with two standard bearers, because a British battalion carried two standards. The Portuguese battalion only carried one standard, which will leave a hole in your command strip which needs to be filled with an extra figure.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Napoleonic Portuguese
dourpuritan
4th Nov 2016 08:21:35

If the Portuguese NCOs carried a partizan or similar then cut  one of the standard poles down, or convert it to a sword or pistol.

A little goes a long way

PM andreasgum
Standard User
Napoleonic Portuguese
andreasgum
13th Nov 2016 07:53:52

I think I should be fine with two standard bearers. Most of the pictures I google seem to have two flags at the same time. One national and one company maybe? This one for example. I think that's Baccus even.

http://www.reinforcementsbypost.com/sites/default/files/image_gallery/P1120488.JPG

"I have resolved never to start an unjust war, but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies."
- Charles XII, King of Sweden

PM matt
Standard User
Napoleonic Portuguese
matt
13th Nov 2016 10:49:25

I

A Portuguese regiment had 2 flags. The regiment at full strength would be split in to 2 battalion with one flag each. If the regiment was weak due to attrition or recruitment issues it would have 1 battalion and this would have 2 flags. I have 3 battalions of Portuguese. The 9th (2) and 21st (1) so the 21st has 2 flags.          

LATEST FORUM POSTS

New nomads by David Kay
29th Mar 2024

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS