> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > FPW Infantry Basing
TOPIC: FPW Infantry Basing
PM oppi
Standard User
FPW Infantry Basing
oppi
7th Mar 2016 07:59:54

Hu Guys,

it is my understanding that the Infantry formations in the war of 1870 (and similar periods) were different from the Napoleonic wars, i.e. not so much Line, more attack columns.

So i was thinking im gonna base my Infantry with 2 Blocks of 3x4 Figures with a skirmishing screen in front.

xxxx            xxxx  

xxxx            xxxx

xxxx            xxxx

sk   sk     sk   sk

What do you think ?

PM Mollinary
Standard User
FPW Infantry Basing
Mollinary
7th Mar 2016 12:28:28

Hi Oppi,

What size unit are you trying to represent - a battalion, a regiment, or a brigade?   For example, for the Prussians a brigade would often form in two lines, each line would be a regiment of three battalions. The front line would start off with a third of each battalion in the skirmish line, the rest of each battalion would be in 4 company or, in 1870 particularly, 2 half battalion columns. The second regiment, deployed some hundreds of yards in the rear would probably be in half or full battalion columns, with no skirmishes deployed. These columns are not massively deep, but between four no eight men deep.   Hope this helps as a start. 

Mollinary

PM oppi
Standard User
FPW Infantry Basing
oppi
7th Mar 2016 12:31:53

Hi Mollinary,

my plans are to do it like this: 1 Base 60x30 = 1 Regiment, 2 Regiment/Bases = 1 Brigade.

Both for KDA & CDB

Thanks you for your Input !
Cheers

PM Mollinary
Standard User
FPW Infantry Basing
Mollinary
7th Mar 2016 09:04:49

Hi Oppi,

Well, in that scale, whatever you do will be a bit of a compromise.  Working on the principle that a third of a regiment, at least, would be on the firing line when in contact, I would be inclined to go for 8 skirmisher figures, and then two blocks (rather than the actual three) to represent the columns behind. Each of these two would be four figures wide by two deep. So a total of 24 figures on a a 60x30mm base.

Still, do it so it looks good for you, after all, you are the one who is going to lead this army!

Mollinary

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Whatever happened to the SYW? by Fireymonkeyboy
11th Dec 2017

Ottoman Turks 18C by Harlequin
11th Dec 2017

Little Big Horn by ironass
11th Dec 2017

Not Being Able To Order by peter
11th Dec 2017

Banzai Age of the Country at War! 3rd Edition by peter
11th Dec 2017