Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > C15 Mounted Crossbow?
TOPIC: C15 Mounted Crossbow?
PM Leslie
Standard User
C15 Mounted Crossbow?
Leslie
10th Aug 2016 11:34:06

Anyone have an approach that works to create this troop type?  It opens up a loot of late medieval and early renaissance armies.

PM Fireymonkeyboy
Standard User
C15 Mounted Crossbow?
Fireymonkeyboy
10th Aug 2016 12:45:00

Not sure I undestand - what do you mean by "an approach to create"?  Is C15 a figure code?

FMB

PM Leslie
Standard User
C15 Mounted Crossbow?
Leslie
10th Aug 2016 01:04:23

15th century, and no there is no such figure in the baccus catalog; hence posting to conversions board.

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
C15 Mounted Crossbow?
Whirlwind
11th Aug 2016 05:02:07

No, when I asked about this on the old forum the responses weren't encouraging as the conversions would be a little tricky.  It is on the "Baccstarter" list with a few packs pledged.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
C15 Mounted Crossbow?
dourpuritan
11th Aug 2016 07:06:24

Try C15th - it avoids ambiguity.

A little goes a long way

PM ithoriel
Standard User
C15 Mounted Crossbow?
ithoriel
11th Aug 2016 11:30:12

I'm far from an expert in the period but I was under the impression mounted crossbowmen moved mounted but often fired on foot.

If that's the case, would a front rank (or two) of WOR05 crossbowmen backed by a number of horses and holders (maybe from ECW04) do to indicate the troop type?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
C15 Mounted Crossbow?
dourpuritan
12th Aug 2016 07:24:44

I thought that was the case for mounted longbow, but I've not come across that for mounted crossbow. As far as I'm aware, up until the early C16th they used the light latch-type crossbow and acted as mounted skirmishers/light horse. Foot skirmishers, using the crossbow, were a distinct type. The formed foot crossbow would certainly use the heavier arbalest, with the winding gear, and would likely use the pavise as well. My preferred gaming period is 1450 to 1520 so I'm not so certain about the earlier medieval period.

A little goes a long way

PM Leslie
Standard User
C15 Mounted Crossbow?
Leslie
13th Aug 2016 12:14:05

I have run into published references citing both but I'm not sure what they are using for original source.  ithorial's suggestion is good since it is something that can be implemented with existing figures at any rate,

PM ithoriel
Standard User
C15 Mounted Crossbow?
ithoriel
13th Aug 2016 02:48:55

Having had a rummage in both the real world and the virtual one, it seems to me that mounted crossbowmen fired mounted and dismounted as circumstances dictated but that the further south you go the bigger the chance they'll fire mounted. So the Spanish and Italians seem to have fired mounted more often than the English, for example.

Faced with opponents on foot they seem to have been more likely to fire on the ground while if opposed by, or supporting, cavalry they would tend to be mounted.

That said, evidence for either seems pretty thin on the ground so your guess is likely to be as good as anyone elses!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

PM rsjahn
Standard User
C15 Mounted Crossbow?
rsjahn
26th Aug 2016 07:35:30

Hey, thats a nice idea, I like it! Maybe I will copy it :-)

Ralf

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay
26th Mar 2024