Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > English Buildings - Colours?
TOPIC: English Buildings - Colours?
PM Whirlwind
Standard User
English Buildings - Colours?
Whirlwind
13th Mar 2016 09:08:08

Does anyone know which colours were used for painting the English buildings in the photos in the Baccus catalogue?  In particular, I'd be interested in knowing which shade was used for the stonework on the church

PM TimR
Standard User
TimR
13th Mar 2016 11:29:21

Whattle and daube (the bits between the wood) would be off white/ very light brown, the wood will be brown or grey brown, any weathered wood really not black (Victorian ). Brick tended to be red/brown or possible grey blue. Churches will be sandstone red brown or granite green grey like the local churches. If it's Ecw your doing remember it's pre industrial revolution so less blackening. Look at the images for the Weald and Downland museum site.

"It is remarkable how elastic the measurements of quite honest and honourable men can become" H G Wells

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Whirlwind
22nd Mar 2016 07:45:09

Thanks very much Tim.  I don't think that my painting does these lovely models quite justice, but they do look quite good now.  I think the church is a beauty.

PM TimR
Standard User
TimR
22nd Mar 2016 01:24:11

Don't let me see them as I like painting buildings and I don't need more

"It is remarkable how elastic the measurements of quite honest and honourable men can become" H G Wells

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
9th Apr 2016 02:05:49

Limestone was also used for building churches, which is generally a lightish grey/off-white colour. As above, don't paint half-timber houses black and white; this is very much a modern phenomenon. Natural wood tends to age to a grey colour. Wattle and daub can be painted buff or very pale yellowish brown. Also remember that thatch very quickly (a few months) weathers to grey, then stays that colour 'til replaced 50 years later.

A little goes a long way

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Pre 1st May by dourpuritan
23rd Apr 2024

Pre 1st May by njt236
22nd Apr 2024

Renaissance Turks? by Rittmeister_Krefeld
22nd Apr 2024

Pre 1st May by Mort53
22nd Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by bushs
22nd Apr 2024