Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Vallejo what a revelation
TOPIC: Vallejo what a revelation
PM njt236
Standard User
Vallejo what a revelation
njt236
9th Jun 2016 12:53:52

70% of what I use is Vallejo. 20% Foundry and then 10% Citadel 

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
9th Jun 2016 01:57:38

Indeed. Almost all my painting is Vallejo (as well as priming, varnishing, water effects and pumice basing paste). They are also highly recommended by 'El Mercenario', although he does rate the Citadel metallics as better.

A little goes a long way

PM monk2002uk
Standard User
monk2002uk
10th Jun 2016 08:01:54

The one issue is that some of the Vallejo range develop colour separation if left standing unused. Thorough mixing is important but I often leave these bottles upside down in order to make the mixing process easier.

Robert

PM tdumontelle
Standard User
tdumontelle
12th Jun 2016 01:10:57

It is important to shake their paints very well.  I actually tried to return the first one I ever bought to the store becuse it seemed to be just powder and ooze.  The employee showed me what to do...shake it and then roll it, repeating several times.  Some times you have to sqeaze the bottom to break up the sediment before shaking.  It's funny that the color I first bought was german feldgrau, at least 10 years ago.  I'm still using that same bottle and have several german armies done (6mm, 15mm and 28's).

Another key is getting the paint thinned just right.  I stopped globbing the paint on a few years ago and started doing multiple thin coats.  Their paints are so good that you can brush paint even 28mm tanks and it's no problem.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by peter
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by bushs
18th Apr 2024

The Army of Northern Virginia by ironass
17th Apr 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by DuncanWB
15th Apr 2024

2004 Shows by Whirlwind
15th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS