Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Napoleonic British/French light troops to regulars possible?
TOPIC: Napoleonic British/French light troops to regulars possible?
PM andreasgum
Standard User
Napoleonic British/French light troops to regulars possible?
andreasgum
21st Jan 2018 04:00:14

I was wondering what the difference between the sculpts for NBR01 and NBR02 + NBR11, as well as NFR01 and NFR03 was (regulars vs light infantry). If I paint the light infantry in the regulars' colours, would they pass as shooting regulars? My goal is to have the front rank of my regulars aim and fire rather than stand at attention like they do in NBR01 and NFR01.

"I have resolved never to start an unjust war, but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies."
- Charles XII, King of Sweden

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Whirlwind
22nd Jan 2018 09:28:15

For the British, shoulder tufts.

For the French, plumes and epaulettes (a couple of nice bases here):

Both are easy enough to do paint job conversions if you are easy to please.  The plumes are easily cut off and the epaulettes / tufts filed, if you care more.

Another way of doing it would be to have grenadiers / voltigeurs / light company in the main firing line; then you can paint as is.

PM andreasgum
Standard User
andreasgum
22nd Jan 2018 01:47:40

Thanks for the input!

I try to keep each unit type separate on their own bases, so only regulars on one, light infantry on one, etc. Guess some filing will be on my agenda in the near future.

"I have resolved never to start an unjust war, but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies."

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
22nd Jan 2018 08:17:00

I am not sure if what I am going to say will help you or even if you will appreciate... but the Napoleonic Period was so long in years that a lot of changes inside the units happened... number of companies... headgear... and so on... when I did build my 25 mm Minifigs Armies I commited a long series of mistakes... fortunately there are books and documents which explain the lot... they are easy available. But without intention of intruding in your fancy check organizations before painting. I even wrote a book about my parcour to help others avoid doing what I did wrong... no need to buy at all... alejo dorca

PM andreasgum
Standard User
andreasgum
22nd Jan 2018 11:15:11

That may be so, but I think I'll just stick with what's simple to achieve, plus it makes the rules easier to follow. At 6mm there's just not enough detail to get super detailed; I think you pass the obvious reasons for playing 6mm by. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
23rd Jan 2018 05:56:44

Of course!  You are right whatever you do. This is an individuallistic hobby. You pay your money and you make your choices. But even 6mm allows some historical beauty.                                                                                    Example: (as an afterthought) if (IF) you build a unit of Horse Grenadiers of the Guard , if you are a proportional man, you will have surplus of figures... then why not use them as elite troop on your French Dragoons of the Line (on the right of the formation... one or two will do the trick!)... Same per French Infantry usually light troops on the skirmish line in front (no much problem with that) but why not some line grenadiers on the right flank of the unit?... and even more why not a single base with ONLY Grenadiers of the Line (If you use Marshall McDonald that is!)...                                                                        GOOD LUCK!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay
26th Mar 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS