Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Other Rules > Black Powder basing
TOPIC: Black Powder basing
PM oppi
Standard User
Black Powder basing
oppi
18th Jan 2016 06:47:00

Hi ! Im currently thinking about basing 6mm Napoleonics for the Black powder rules. 

30x30mm Bases seem to be a logical choice for me, to get all the Formation goodness going. 

8 Figs for Infantry, 4 for Cav, 1 for Artillery (limbers extra) . Then i could make a Unit consist of 4+ bases and be able to make all the Formations visible

Any Experience with Black powder and 6mm Baccus ? Any Suggestions ? 

Thank you :)

PM oppi
Standard User
Black Powder basing
oppi
18th Jan 2016 12:45:54

I did some paper cutouts and i think i might stick with 40x20mm with 2x8 Figs each for Infantry. And then 4 bases make a Unit. Should allow all formations to be displayed on the battlefield

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Black Powder basing
Glenn Pearce
19th Jan 2016 07:27:29

Hello oppi!

I can only suggest that you might want to think about 6mm basing first, then 6mm basing for Napoleonics and finally basing for Black Powder.

Baccus designs and sells their figures to fit perfectly on their "standard" bases 60mm x 30mm. This base along with the little sister base 30mm x 30mm and big brother base 60mm x 60mm encompase their Polemos rule system. So if you use those bases you don't have any figures left over or need extra figures to complete a unit. There is also enough room to enhance the look of the base by adding in terrain items to give the impression of a mini-diorama. It also allows you to space out the figures a little bit which makes them look better as well. It avoids overcrowding which makes the figures look a little darker then they should. More light in, more colour out.

Although intended for Napoleonic Polemos you are not limited to playing those rules only with these bases. You can play almost any rule set with them as is, or by making a few minor changes to the rules.

The 60x30 base has become known as the "standard" base within the 6mm community which means you can often find other players who have based that way. You can also buy and sell them on ebay. So you can quickly add to your collection, or sell it some day should you want to move on.

I don't play Black Powder but some of my 6mm Napoleonic friends do, and they use these bases in a couple of ways. The first is the easy way four 60x30 bases make a unit. They have big tables and lots of figures. The second is more common where they simply treat one 60x30 as two 30x30 that are attached. So you use two 60x30 as a unit. Some have even been more creative and use one 60x30 and two 30x30 as a unit, so you can show formation changes. Some who are pressed for space consider one 60x30 as four 15x30 and use formation markers. While others have created house rules so they don't have to worry about formation changes. So you have lots of options all by pretty much using the same base.

When using 6mm figures it's important to base them in the most versatile and attractive way so can avoid consantly rebasing your figures to match the current trendy rule set. Base them on 60x30 and your done.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM oppi
Standard User
Black Powder basing
oppi
27th Jan 2016 10:15:03

Thanks for your input Glenn. Basing 60x30mm is concerning for me, since i only have a 2mx0,85m Table available. Do you think i could base like you suggested and use only 40mm as BW for Polemos Rules ? 

In Black Powder, i think i will have to show formations with counters, at least the square and march column

Cheers

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Black Powder basing
Glenn Pearce
27th Jan 2016 01:46:12

Hello oppi!

Some people have chosen the 40mm base for a few reasons. You can make more bases at a lower cost and shorter time or they have a small table like you. I don't recommend using it because the cost difference and time is not worth it. You end up with bases that look chopped which takes away from the look of a 60x30 base. The other problem with smaller bases is that your able to move them easier and get into smaller spaces. Your games resemble more of a football game with players dodging in and out rather then the difficulties of moving large bodies of men in large formations. Your real concern is your small table which I wouldn't worry about. You already know that your games will be limited in scope, so although reducing the base size will alleviate the problem a little bit, it won't really change very much. You also might one day obtain a larger playing surface at your home or with a friend. So mounting your figures in a situation that could change is probably not the best solution.  Everybody has to make there own choice for basing, but my recommendation for you remains with 60x30.

Playing Black Powder with formation markers is fine as there are only a few different formations other then line.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM oppi
Standard User
Black Powder basing
oppi
27th Jan 2016 01:56:11

Hi glenn, 

thanks for your thoughts. I´m gonna definately base my Units on 60x30mm and gonna try how it plays with 1bw = 40mm just for measurements, not basing. Maybe it´ll work out 

Cheers

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Black Powder basing
Glenn Pearce
27th Jan 2016 02:29:38

Hello oppi!

Good idea, that might help fix your small table problem a little bit. You will only know for sure after you have sized up the rules and played a game or two.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM oppi
Standard User
Black Powder basing
oppi
27th Jan 2016 04:42:55

Thanks a lot Glenn, really appreciate it.

I will tryout the 40mm Measurements and let you guys know what i find out

Cheers

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Little battles with Ancients by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by Lanksta
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by peter
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by bushs