Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Other Rules > Starting with Altar of Freedom ACW rules
TOPIC: Starting with Altar of Freedom ACW rules
PM ambler
Standard User
Starting with Altar of Freedom ACW rules
ambler
22nd Mar 2016 12:52:27

I just played a couple of test games of Altar of Freedom using my Baccus 6mm ACW models I bought last year along with the scenic roads, rivers, fords and bridges from Timecast. I really recommend these rules. Very easy to pick up and use. After one game and checking back to the rule PDF the second game ran through smoothly. Dice rolling and adjustments is easy, leaving the player to think about what to do now and next. Five stars from me so far. Looking forward to the first campaign supplement for AoF!

You can read the first game write up here (solo gaming for now with alternative priority point setting every turn to even out the second guessing over the course of a game). https://never2oldtowargame.wordpress.com/2016/03/21/altar-of-freedom-test-game-1st-bull-run/

PM 6mmACW
Standard User
6mmACW
6th Apr 2016 04:02:57

Nice looking table you assembled for that scenario!

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
23rd Jan 2019 08:07:45

On the Altar of Freedom website it suggested that the wood sections have sections of toothpicks glued into their bases so that they can sit over the troops. Recently they have posted instructions for pinewoods but for practical reasons these cannot be placed on toothpicks so they rest the troops on the top.

In both instances I think the woods sections should be made as smaller units to facilitate the placement of troops as they move through them. In wargaming a lot of compromises have to be made, and unfortunately many ACW battlefields were heavily wooded.

Another compromise is that used by Bruce Weigle, where he just indicates the edge of a wood with single trees, the interior shown by using a darker coloured base. 

A little goes a long way

PM wpilon
Standard User
wpilon
25th Jan 2019 07:52:53

My solution for woods is patches of dark green felt with single trees hot glued to dark green painted disks scattered around it to indicate the presence of woods.

You use enough trees to make the woods look right, but they're easy to move around to acoomodate the troops.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@@.1dd158e7/6940!enclosure=.1ddf2e97

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
26th Jan 2019 10:00:09

I use the above method and the AOF method, but instead of toothpicks I use an edge of corrugated card, so troops can travel under the canopy.

A little goes a long way

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay
26th Mar 2024