Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Other Rules > Blücher in the Peninsula
TOPIC: Blücher in the Peninsula
PM DiceatDawn
Standard User
Blücher in the Peninsula
DiceatDawn
3rd Jul 2017 10:50:29

Well, I've gone and done it now. A few years back (or perhaps not that few?) I ordered a Napoleonic British starter army for the Peninsular campaign which has since languished in the bottom of some box. I've thought of selling or giving it away multiple times as other interests were deemed more pressing. However, after reading the French comic "La Bataille" about Aspern-Essling the siren call of Napoleonics has once again made itself heard. As much as I love the Austrian colours I couldn't bring myself to purchasing two new armies while still having an entirely untouched one however (how disciplined of me, right?) so I went back to my original dreams of Salamanca.

Originally I was thinking of Grand Armée, but when Blücher seemed to be of a similar spirit and readily available as a pdf I changed my mind. It looks exactly like the kind of high level, quick play set I was after (my favourite game is Warmaster). A quick visit to the publisher's forum yielded a very nicely laid out OoB, thank you Mr. Mike Bersiks.  However, the "meagre" offerings of the starter set would not suffice for this grand endeavour so... I think I've just increased the leadpile quite significantly rather than decreased it. I'd better get painting before the order arrives.

For basing I'm just going to go with standard 60x60 Baccus bases rather than the 3x3" recommended by the ruleset. While it would have been truly epic, my storage space is limited.

Then there's the matter of the French as the chances of getting a mate onboard for this are slim to none. It's not a matter of how fast I can paint, it's a matter of getting the time to do it. So around the late 2020:s perhaps? . :)

PM Fireymonkeyboy
Standard User
Blücher in the Peninsula
Fireymonkeyboy
18th Nov 2017 04:48:14

It's good to have goals.  If it's any consolation, I'm planning something similar for 1813, as soon as I get done painting the Seven Years War . . . . 

FMB

PM DiceatDawn
Standard User
Blücher in the Peninsula
DiceatDawn
5th Dec 2017 12:20:34

At least there's half a century between the projects in some aspect. :)

PM Elenderil
Standard User
Blücher in the Peninsula
Elenderil
7th Jan 2018 09:00:40

I have the Blucher rules and have played a few solo games but without figures just cards.  I’m thinking g of giving the peninsular was a go too.

PM DiceatDawn
Standard User
Blücher in the Peninsula
DiceatDawn
9th Jan 2018 10:13:57

How did you find them?

PM Elenderil
Standard User
Blücher in the Peninsula
Elenderil
29th Jan 2018 01:30:13

They gave a good game.  Simple mechanisms to learn that reward proper use of reserves.   I’m not an expert on Napoleonics so I’m unclear if they are a good reflection of period tactical use age at Brigade  but they did what I wanted.

PM DiceatDawn
Standard User
Blücher in the Peninsula
DiceatDawn
7th Feb 2018 10:06:43

Happy to hear you found them enjoyable. 

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by bushs
18th Apr 2024

The Army of Northern Virginia by ironass
17th Apr 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by DuncanWB