Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > Napoleonic GDD - some Rule questions
TOPIC: Napoleonic GDD - some Rule questions
PM oppi
Standard User
Napoleonic GDD - some Rule questions
oppi
26th Jan 2016 08:50:25

Hi,

im just starting out in 6mm wargaming and im currently trying out the GDD rules for my humble beginning. I just have a couple of questions regarding the rules.

1. Do i have to use the full movement ? For instance, if my Unit moves 4BWs, do i have to move the complete distance or can i decide to just move to any point within this distance ?

2. Is it advisable / possible to play with skirmishers completely seperated from other infantry, meaning using an own complete base ? or should i always mount some skirmishers on some parts of my line infantry bases ?

3. can someone explain me more smple how i should turn groups / units ? english is not my native language, so maybe i dont understand it properly

4. Would it harm the game if i cut down the measurements of moving / range ? Meaning instead of 60mm as BW usint 40mm as BW while still keeping the bases at 60x30mm (same question for mde)

Im pretty sure i will have more questions soon, but so far im loving GDD. MDE is nice too, but somehow im missing firing muskets in there...

Thanks in advance,

Torsten

Email Extra Crispy PM Extra Crispy
Standard User
Extra Crispy
27th Jan 2016 02:35:09

Hello Torsten:

1) No. You can use some, all or none.

2) I would not - by making them their own unit you make them far more powerful. 

3) I always do it the same way no matter what rules I'm using. I spin the unit or group of units on one corner, like a door. I measure how far the other corner goes.

4) I can't think of a reson this wouldn't work. Actually playing the game might reveal some issues. Give it a try and let us know how it goes for you.

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
ScaleCreep.com
DeepFriedHappyMice.com

PM oppi
Standard User
oppi
27th Jan 2016 04:41:46

Thank you for the help !

So just to clarify, never use Skirmishers on their own base ? Should i outfit all my Line Infantry with Skirmishers ?

edit: i will try the 40mm BW solution and report my findings here !

Email Extra Crispy PM Extra Crispy
Standard User
Extra Crispy
27th Jan 2016 05:35:51

The rules make skirmishers abstract. You can put them on the base if you like, or leave them off entirely. Since units just have an abstract skirmish value, there is no need for actual skirmish figures. Of course, you may try other rules that have a need for them. But for now it's just about what looks good to you.

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
ScaleCreep.com
DeepFriedHappyMice.com

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Renaissance Turks? by sgarnerteng
20th Apr 2024

Little battles with Ancients by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by Lanksta
19th Apr 2024