Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > RDG Skirmishers
TOPIC: RDG Skirmishers
PM brothercrow
Standard User
RDG Skirmishers
brothercrow
12th May 2017 09:49:41

Hi guys, picked up a copy of RDG a couple of weeks ago via Wargames Vault. I think I've got the hang of everything rules wise, but just a couple of questions:

Looking at the OOB for Guilford Courthouse, am I right in thinking that where it says 1 S in the continental side, that one of the bases is a skirmisher?

If so, suitable figures....there don't appear to be any appropriate figures in the baccus Continental range (they wouldn't look like light infantry)...maybe use the German Jaeger figures.....thoughts?

Also, am I right in assuming that skirmishers can fight just like a regular base or am I missing something? Not convinced that Virginia riflemen would be able to stand up to redcoats with bayonets...

Will give it a go on the tabletop this weekend solo before intorducing it to the club...I have about 100 bases per side all ready to go, just been waiting for a set of rules!!!

Graeme,
Durham Wargames.

PM brothercrow
Standard User
RDG Skirmishers
brothercrow
12th May 2017 02:22:00

Ah, when I worked through the OOB (I am doing it at 100 men, 50 horse, 2 guns to a base), I see the continental light infantry under Kirkwood isn't accounted for, so I assume these are the skirmish stands in Williams/Hugars Brigades...

Working out, I think I need about 7 or 8 militia stands painting up (I have the figures) and everything is done for Guilford Courthouse. I will post some photos when I get a mo'....!

This is the OOB I am working to...I need to grade everything, and sort some of the command structure out, but it shows the number of bases I am using (all based 60x30, with artillery at 30x30):

British Army

Lt. Gen. Charles, 2nd Earl Cornwallis

The Brigade of Guards (Brigadier General Charles O’Hara):
1st Battalion (2 Bases)
2nd Battalion (2 Bases)
Guard Grendier Company (1 Base)
Guards Light Infantry Company (1 Base)

Webster’s Brigade (Lt. Col. James Webster):
23rd Foot (3 Bases)
33rd Foot (3 Bases)

Leslie’s Brigade (Major General Alexander Leslie):
2nd Battalion, 71st Foot (3 Bases)
Von Bose Regiment (4 Bases)

Auxiliary Troops
British Legion: Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton (5 x Legion Cavalry Bases; 1 x 17th Light Dragoons Base)
Jaeger Company: Cpt. Wilhelm von Roeder (1 Base)

Royal Artillery: 
1st section – 2 6lb field guns (1 Base)
2nd Section – 2 6lb field guns (1 Base)
3rd section – 2 3lb field guns (1 Base)

------------------------------------------

Continental Army

Major General Nathanael Greene

Maryland Continental Brigade (Col. Otho Holland Williams)
1st Maryland Battalion (4 Bases)
2nd Maryland Battalion (4 Bases)

Virginia Continental Brigade (Brigadier General Isaac Huger)
4th Virginia Regiment (4 Bases)
5th Virginia Regiment (4 Bases)

Lee’s Partizan Legion (Lt. Col. Henry Lee)
Lee’s Horse (2 Bases)
Lee’s Infantry (2 Bases)

Butler’s North Carolina Militia Brigade (Brig. Gen. John Butler)
Various Militia (7 Bases)

Eaton’s North Carolina Militia Brigade (Brig. Gen. Thomas Eaton)
Various Militia (6 Bases)

Steven’s Virginia Militia Brigade (Brig. Gen. Edward Stevens)
Various Militia (7 Bases)

Lawson’s Virginia Militia Brigade (Brig. Gen. Robert)
Various Militia (6 Bases)

Light Infantry Companies (Capt. Robert Kirkwood)
Delaware Light Infantry Company (1 Base)
Virginia Continental Light Infantry Companies (1 Base)

Virginia Rifle Battalion (2 Bases)
Virginia Rifle Battalion (1 Base)
North Carolina Rifle Battalion (1 Base)
Continental Light Dragoons: Lt. Col. William Washington (2 Bases)
Virginia Militia Dragoons (1 Base)
North Carolina Militia Dragoons (1 Base)

Continental Artillery:
1st section – 2 6lb field guns (1 Base)
2nd Section – 2 6lb field guns (1 Base)

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
RDG Skirmishers
Glenn Pearce
12th May 2017 03:24:51

Hello Graeme!

Nice to hear that you have obtained the rules and figured them out.

Yes, whenever you see 1S that means that one of the bases is a skirmish base.

Although not the proper hat I used AWR06 (light infantry) also as line skirmishers. You can use the German Jaegers as well as their hat is probably a closer match. I didn't since some of my group would get confused between the Jaegers and line skirmishers.

Yes all bases including skirmishers fight the same way. In this game they just don't represent the single broken line that is often shown in some games, but also their supports, reinforcements, etc. So they are generally close in numbers or effectiveness to any other base.

The detailed interaction between skirmishers and formed troops is to some degree below the level of the game design. So some of the finer points are hidden in the modifiers and outcomes. This allows the players to assume the roles of the senior commanders, not captains. It was extremely difficult to deliver an effective bayonet charge in broken terrain under enemy fire. Virginia riflemen often carried close quarter weapons such as throwing axes, long knives, etc. So they were not defenceless. In general the normal tactic for a rifleman or most skirmishers was to fall back when pressed by a bayonet charge and this is reflected if they lose the outcome. If they win then the bayonet charge broke up and fell apart. So the outcomes reflect the minor tactics to some degree and don't force the players to micro manage every encounter.

Hopefully both you and your club mates enjoy the rules. Let me know how you make out and if you have any further questions just fire away.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM brothercrow
Standard User
RDG Skirmishers
brothercrow
12th May 2017 04:20:00

Wow, thanks for the extremely quick response!

That all makes sense, and I guessed that's the direction you had taken. Will give it a good go un-modified before I think about tinkering...!

"You can use the German Jaegers as well as their hat is probably a closer match. I didn't since some of my group would get confused between the Jaegers and line skirmishers."

I have loads of unpainted spares, so would paint them up as continentals....problem solved. I have Light Infantry spares as well....!!!

It will be a week or two before we try it at the club, as I want to get the rules engrained first before I introduce it - it will run smoother that way. Will try something on the table this weekend, so might have questions on Monday!

Graeme,
Durham Wargames Group

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
RDG Skirmishers
Glenn Pearce
12th May 2017 05:41:03

Hello Graeme!

Your welcome.

Yes, by all means tinker away, most wargamers do. Just don't be surprised to find out that I already worked it out and it's just not been explained.

Your probably right about Kirkwood, but don't worry about an extra base or two as it's rare that any order of battle is 100% correct. Just make sure that your total number of bases per army are reasonable compared to each others numbers.

I just love the ratio 100/50/2 as it really shows off the AWI in 6mm and brings a different dynamic to the game itself. Well done, I think your mates will be fighting to get into your game.

Looking forward to your questions on Monday.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM brothercrow
Standard User
RDG Skirmishers
brothercrow
15th May 2017 09:59:31

Well I didn't get a chance to try it out this weekend - I decided to use the time to paint up some of the gaps I had, so I did some light infantry, and made a start on the other 6 bases of militia I needed. I also placed an order for some British Dragoons (I need a stand for the 17th at Guildford), and a few other bits and Bobs.

I will do a write up of the project via the Durham Wargames website at some point, however, here is a taster for now of a stand I did this weekend - Kirkwoods Light Infantry....they dressed in linen hunting shirt, with light blue and white striped trousers (I painted them light blue....I'm not totally mad)...I have chosen not to do the lace on the hats, as I suspect this would have been stripped off.

Kirkwoods Light Infantry

Other than the Light Dragoons (1 base), the British are finished now at 100/50/2 ratio. The continentals just need Lees Legion (2 Horse and 2 Skirmish Foot), 6 bases of militia (I have 20 already done) and and 2 stands of militia dragoons (I've just ordered some tricorned 17th C mounted for these) plus the limbers for the artillery and everything is finished. Then it will be on to the terrain...!

Best wishes,
Graeme,
DWG

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
RDG Skirmishers
Glenn Pearce
15th May 2017 02:54:09

Hello Graeme!

Well thats certainly better then some tricky questions. You certainly have some real skill in painting and basing 6mm figures. I think the AWI line are the best figures in any scale and yours confirm that. I couldn't wait to paint my figures. Looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful work.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM brothercrow
Standard User
RDG Skirmishers
brothercrow
15th May 2017 03:19:15

Thanks Glenn, very kind of you - I will put something together with my "proper" camera, rather than iPad. The long term aim is to make a display quality game.

PM jozistinman
Standard User
RDG Skirmishers
jozistinman
15th May 2017 05:13:10

Looking good!  Your painting is amazing!

I will be eagerly following your progress.  I have a soft spot for Kirkwood, as I gew up next to the Hobkirk Hill Battelfield, and drove past a place called "Kirkwood Common" every day on the way to school.

PM brothercrow
Standard User
RDG Skirmishers
brothercrow
16th May 2017 10:34:00

Thanks again for the comments, and that's a great story - I am going to move this conversation over to the Gallery section where I will create a new thread...it would probably make more sense to do that!

Graeme.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Italian Wars by dourpuritan
18th Mar 2024

A book over 6MM minis? by peter
18th Mar 2024

A book over 6MM minis? by ironass
18th Mar 2024

A book over 6MM minis? by peter
18th Mar 2024

Italian Wars by peter
18th Mar 2024