Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Fraustadt battle
TOPIC: Fraustadt battle
PM lekw
Standard User
Fraustadt battle
lekw
1st Apr 2015 10:19:29

I was looking at the webpage and the Fraustadt battle caught my eye. Does anyone have any closer pictures of this? Looks fantastic and just wanted a closer look. 

PM hwiccee
Standard User
Fraustadt battle
hwiccee
1st Apr 2015 10:50:45

There is as they say good news and bad news on this. The bad news is that the photo is from the Joy of Six show from a few years ago and rather stupidly we forgot to take many pictures - we were too busy talking to people and generally having a good time. There are a few more pictures around take by others - http://www.sammustafa.com/honour-forums/maurice-other/bacuss-gaming-day/  and http://thelandofcounterpane.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/baccus-gaming-day-sheffield.html

But the good news is that as you have seen the game will be shown again at Salute later in the month & hopefully this time we will get  more pictures. Also we will be another in the series of GNW games at this years Joy of Six.

PM lekw
Standard User
Fraustadt battle
lekw
2nd Apr 2015 01:25:18

Thanks you so much for the adittional pictures. The game looks fantastic and is encouraging me to buy some of the Baccus Great Northern War figures myself. Looking forward to the report from Salute. Can I ask how you based the infantry? 

PM Stenbock
Standard User
Fraustadt battle
Stenbock
7th Apr 2015 06:54:02

Hi Lekw,

Thanks for the kind words and your interest, and if it encourages you then all the better. Sorry for the late response, I had the pleasure of doing most of the weekend unplugged.  The infantry was based, with a few exceptions, as follows (note I do some cutting up of strips to achieve this,note that there are double the amount of pikes for Swedes than for Russians, this to represent the 1/3 vs 1/6 of pikes difference):

Saxons - 3 rows (24 miniatures per base, 60 by 30mm)

G - Grenadier (tall mitre), D - Drummer, F - Flagbearer, O - Officer, M - Musket

GGDFODGG / MMMMMMMM / MMMMMMM ( front row / middle row / back row )

SS01 - Line Infantry with SS03 - Tall Mitre Grenadiers.

Russians - 3 rows (24 miniatures per base, 60 by 30mm)

D - Drummer, F - Flagbearer, O - Officer, M - Musket, P - Pike

DFOD / MMMPPPPMMM / MMMMMMMMMM

GNR01 - Russian Musketeers, Hat and GNR03 - Russian Pike with Hat (or GNR02 and GNR04 for Kartuz)

Swedes - 3 rows (24 miniatures per base, 60 by 30mm)

G - Grenadier, D - Drummer, F - Flagbearer, O - Officer, M - Musket

DFOD / GMMPPPPMMG / MMMPPPPMMM

GNS01 - Swedish Musketeer, Hat (also contains command), GNS03 - Swedish Pikemen, Hat and GNS07 - Swedish Grenadiers.

Hope this makes sense, please ask again if it doesn't or if you want to know something else.

/ Per

Stenbock / Per Broden

Check out my blog with some 6mm diversions - Roll a One

PM Stenbock
Standard User
Fraustadt battle
Stenbock
7th Apr 2015 07:00:39

Also I painted the Russians in Red Uniforms with Green Cuffs as they were asked to turn their (I suppose) Green Coats with Red Cuffs inside out before the battle to not reveal their placement.  Also they may not have been equipped with Pikes for this battle.

Stenbock / Per Broden

PM John Svensson
Standard User
Fraustadt battle
John Svensson
8th Apr 2015 01:21:01

Silly question, but I take it anyone starting on the GN War with Baccus figs will be using the WSS range for artillery...correct?  John

PM Stenbock
Standard User
Fraustadt battle
Stenbock
8th Apr 2015 04:52:46

John, Correct! Also, as shown above, use the normal WSS stuff for Saxon and Danish foot and horse. I have also used some horse archers from the ancient range for the Eastern light horse elements and some stuff from the 7YW range but no one noticed yet! I have also used some french dragoons and cuirassiers and normal horse for Polish Western type Cavalry.  Good Luck and next time you may ask a silly questions, this one wasn't.  All the best / Per

Stenbock / Per Broden

PM John Svensson
Standard User
Fraustadt battle
John Svensson
9th Apr 2015 10:48:27

Thanks for the reply Per, an order has been placed.  Now I need to learn more about the GN War, for us transplants in the US there is not a lot of references readily available.   

PM lekw
Standard User
Fraustadt battle
lekw
9th Apr 2015 10:51:43

I actually intended to use the WSS infantry pack for the Swedish and Russian infantry. I find that many of the bayonets fall off on the GNW packs. 

PM hwiccee
Standard User
Fraustadt battle
hwiccee
10th Apr 2015 12:06:09

lekw: You would probably be better using SYW figures for the Swedes. Their GNW uniforms are basically SYW style rather than WSS style - i.e. they have turnbacks. You will also need GNW troops with pikes and also the karpus/kartuz.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Desert nomads where are they? by DuncanWB
15th Apr 2024

2004 Shows by Whirlwind
15th Apr 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
15th Apr 2024

2004 Shows by peter
15th Apr 2024

The Army of Northern Virginia by ironass
13th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS