Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Why does it feel like an achievement...
TOPIC: Why does it feel like an achievement...
PM I am a spambot
Standard User
Why does it feel like an achievement...
I am a spambot
20th Aug 2016 12:36:28

...to finish a base of 6mm figures (24 figures in 2 ranks of 12), whereas finishing 6 x 15mm mounted figures (enough for 2 bases) doesn't?  I am working on my Donnington Miniatures Rohan army for DBA/HotT, and also doing a bit of the finishing-off of my AWI British army, such as Hessian infantry.

Am I the only one to find painting 6mm figures easier and more satisfying than larger figures?

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
20th Aug 2016 01:35:36

No, I really enjoy painting 10mm, 6mm, 3mm and 2mm. 15mm seems a bit  of a chore because of the detail one can't really leave out. Having said that, I do get a real sense of achievement when completing a 15mm or 28mm unit.

A little goes a long way

PM Estarriol
Standard User
Estarriol
20th Aug 2016 02:10:35

I find it an achievement to finish anything!

PM ithoriel
Standard User
ithoriel
20th Aug 2016 04:45:49

I'm with Estarriol on that! :-)

I do like the finished effect of a 6mm stand though as it looks like a unit which a pair of 15mm scale light infantry on a base never does to me.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

PM 6mmwargaming
Standard User
6mmwargaming
22nd Aug 2016 07:47:16

Yes indeed. Try painting a batch of 28mm fantasy figures with lots of bits on them and then compare it to 6mm! I found I could finish a batch of 48 6mm FPW Prussian in a couple of hours compare with only a few colours finished on 28mm figures.

PM peter
Administrator
peter
22nd Aug 2016 07:15:41

I was once told by a new customer that I'd changed his hobby.  He had really enjoyed painting 28mm figures until he got some 6mm and had a go.   Delighted with the change of pace of production with the small chaps he went back to complete some of his larger scale projects and found that he couldn't actually do them.  The snail's pace of production and tedium of endless highlights and tiny details just lost its appeal.   He was in a real quandary as his little group were 28mm gamers only and had not interest in the small scales.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM glosretriever
Standard User
glosretriever
28th Sep 2016 08:11:08

As a 'newbie' to 6mm I must admit that the thought of painting individual 28mm figures not fill me with joy. I sold my Prussian 28mm units at Colours and will sell other 28mm units later in the year. At present I intend to keep my individually based 28mm vikings but even that might change. The challenge will be to get the balance right with 6mm figures and not attempt to 'overpaint' them. If I can start to approach the standard of Andrea Hofer (whilst only taking about the same time I would on one or two 28mm figures) then I will be very happy. I never realised how addictive 6mm would be.

PM MykeCole
Standard User
MykeCole
30th Sep 2016 12:20:11

I understand that this is an echo chamber, but as we say in the guard, "concur all."

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am insanely busy. I have long working days and then writing obligations in the evenings, not to mention a social calendar. If I painted at 28mm, I'd have to give up gaming. By sticking to skirmish levels games like DBA and 6mm, I can get an entire army painted in 2 evenings. The scale literally makes wargaming possible for me.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
30th Sep 2016 02:19:39

Hello I am a spambot!

As you can see your not alone. I've even adjusted my painting style or schedule so that I get that feeling as often as possible. When I painted larger figures it took a month or two to finish a unit. As we all know you can knock off a 6mm unit in a much shorter period of time. So rather than set up a big assembly line for one project that could take a month or two even in 6mm I now chop it up into smaller projects and mix in other projects. This means that every week I'm finishing a unit or two. So every week I get that feeling of achievement.

Of course there is also that persistant rumour that Peter injects certain chemicals into his figures that addics you into requiring you to constantly touch his figures to obtain some sort of a buzz! To be fair I think that is a little different to a sense of achievement.

Best regards,

Glenn

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay