Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > battle of visby
TOPIC: battle of visby
PM mangemani
Standard User
battle of visby
mangemani
27th Aug 2017 02:00:33

im thinking of starting on a project on the side while working on my other projects and im thinking of doing battle of visby, you know the poorly equipped swedish peasant army against the danish king, valdemars, well equipped knight army.

im pretty unsure what packs is suitable for this period, what kinda knights in the stock that suits this medeival period and the peasant army, what packs do you recommend for that one?

PM Galbrod
Standard User
battle of visby
Galbrod
27th Aug 2017 07:11:30

Perhaps this is another situation where the suggested crusader pilgrims (https://www.baccus6mm.com/forum/General/BaccStarter/742-1-CrusaderPilgrims/) might come in handy for the peasant army?

PM mangemani
Standard User
battle of visby
mangemani
27th Aug 2017 09:44:55

is it a limited edition or is it soething that will ve avalible in the stock later?

PM Galbrod
Standard User
battle of visby
Galbrod
28th Aug 2017 05:29:56

It's a customer suggestion that is discussed in the Baccstarter. So far people have committed to buying 21 packs out of the 60 that are the limit for Baccus to start work on designing the suggested product.The way I understand it, any products designed by customer suggestion/committment will be added to stock.

PM Stenbock
Standard User
battle of visby
Stenbock
29th Aug 2017 11:57:28

Mangemani, it is one of those battles that ends like Cannae battle in slaughter of the opposing side. However in this battle it was not tactical brilliance on the Danes part but the fact that they had better equipment and training. The total death toll (depending on where you read) is about 2000 of the 4000 whp fought - the lionshare of the deaths were on the Swedish site.  Most of the dead were shuffled in mass graves with their armour on. 

I have been toying with the same idea in the past, this is where I ended up (note that there is no Baccus range that is perfect for this, the WoTR range show too modern equipment and the Early medieaval range has a little bit too old fashioned stuff - but it is possible to work something out).

Most of the "danes" should be german mercenaries, and fight on foot.  I would use the Frankish Spearmen (CFR05) and some Crossbowmen (CFR06) from the Crusading armies range. 

Alteratively look at the Mercenary Pikemen or the the Levy Spear in the Late Med/WoTR range.

For the Danish (and perhaps a few Swedish) Knights I would get CFR01 and/or CFR03,   

Again you could consder the Mounted Men at Arms from the Late Med/WoTR range, but I do not know how they look like in detail.

For the under equipped and outdated Swedish militia I would use the early mediaeval Anglo-Saxons EMA03 - Fyrd Spearmen​ for the Peasant Militia, In addition a few archers as well using  EMA04 - Anglo Saxon Archers. In addition a few units of Axe wielding guys using the  EMA02 - Huscarles with Axe (but in this case skip the ones with shields, and use them for another project) or go for the pack in the Viking range EMV03 - Armoured Axemen.  

Some peasant rabble as discussed above would also fit in as the equipment varied.  Sounds like a nice project!  I am currently considering the Battle of Lena - the one depicted in the ARN - the Knight Templar movie!.

Hope this was of some help!  All the very best.

Stenbock / Per Broden

Check out my blog with some 6mm diversions - Roll a One

PM mangemani
Standard User
battle of visby
mangemani
31st Aug 2017 10:47:30

maybe i should order one pack of each that you mention stenbock in my next order, when looking at the baccus pics, it seems that something can be made with those with the right colours, but still, the peasant army, that is the biggest problem. according to the swedish hisorical sites, the peasant just had simple helmets, ringmails, some with spears, a crossbow here and there, knifesm simple swords. the helmets im talking about is kinda like the glat helmets you see in the ovie braveheart, the english ones.

then there is the visby walls, the battle took plce just outside them, so they must be incloded on the battlefield, but where to get medeival walls in 6mm, i have no clue.

PM Stenbock
Standard User
battle of visby
Stenbock
1st Sep 2017 10:20:59

Town

http://www.levenminiatures.co.uk/pages/medieval.htm​

Walls

http://www.levenminiatures.co.uk/pages/castle.htm​ 

Stenbock / Per Broden

Check out my blog with some 6mm diversions - Roll a One

LATEST FORUM POSTS