Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
1... 45
> General > General > 28mm games in the mags
TOPIC: 28mm games in the mags
PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
28mm games in the mags
Glenn Pearce
8th Oct 2017 02:26:25

I don't think the 28mm poster had a valid point at all. Bruce and Luther's work clearly shows that 6mm can be stunning. They are not alone, there are lots of outstanding 6mm terrain modellers out there, as there is for most scales. Obviously if your not looking for it, you won't see it.

The dominate scale in our hobby is 28mm, so it's only natural to assume that they have a better nack for terrain and that more of them pay attention to it. It's simply not true at all. I've seen terrible looking games in all scales and probably more of them were in 28mm. It's just not practical or logical to say that any "scale" has better or worse terrain effects. They all have their greats and dogs.

A large portion of the 6mm players are only recent arrivals to that scale, and simply have not had the time to develope their terrain.

As for photography of 6mm, you only have to look at some of the work done by our very own Peter Berry. He is a true artist who does not even have the very best equipment.

I think one of Peter's main points has now been resolved by at least two main magazines. Send them quailty articles with great photos and we will see more 6mm features.

PM Cannonfodder
Standard User
28mm games in the mags
Cannonfodder
8th Oct 2017 09:28:34

Hopefully on the right tack re the original thread, I'd agree with Pete's observations as I see SAGA, Chain of Command and the like well represented locally. What "mass battles" there are, use the Command and Colors family alongside 15mm minis. Most gamers 15's are DBX based and still get used for the bigger games, however 28's were based for WRG 6th (multi-based plus some individuals for casualties) or WAB (all individual) so skirmish armies are already there waiting for the rules. Once say SAGA came along, there are then players without 28mm armies who've taken the "quick and cheap" option to get a skirmish army to join in. Unfortunately basing figures strictly as recommended in skirmish rules makes them sod all use for much else (bar Impetus on sabot bases) so those armies won't then grow to mass battle forces. So the only new​ armies (which people will write for and photograph - not their old figures) are 28mm skirmish forces.

As for scale, I can't remember the last time I saw anyone locally with a new sub-28mm army  - albeit I have completed a 10mm army recently myself.  Shiny new plastic 28's may be to blame, but why (maybe new thread here) don't we see any plastic 15's, 10's or 6's ? If I recall GW did the first Epic 6mm Army boxes around 25 years ago.

PM peter
Administrator
28mm games in the mags
peter
9th Oct 2017 07:53:40

You can produce the eye candy shots with 6mm figures, but it takes a lot of effort and some fancy footwork.

The original hi-res version of this I am looking at on screen has those infantry standing approximately 25mm tall without any appreciable loss of detail.    The paint job obviously cannot match that of larger figures, but the sculpting certainly stands up to scrutiny.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
28mm games in the mags
Glenn Pearce
10th Oct 2017 03:17:30

Having painted 6mm for over 40 years, I would never dismiss that paint job as inferior to any scale. That photo is a magazine cover shot and stands second to none. A couple more shots like that and a few clever words and you would have a fabulous article. Perhaps something about the sculpting and or the period would be of great interest to readers of all scales.

PM peter
Administrator
28mm games in the mags
peter
23rd Oct 2017 01:24:16

Andrew, looks like you are now firmly associated with 6mm in everyone's opinion.  Treat it as a Sign, abandon all those big figures and let yourself become truely and totally 6mm...

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
28mm games in the mags
ironass
18th Nov 2017 11:18:36

great posts... I mostly agree... I am 65 (not quite dead/getting better) I sold my 25 mm collection some years ago.... I can only be motivatd by 6 mm... because I love the room to manoevre part of it... cheers

PM Elenderil
Standard User
28mm games in the mags
Elenderil
1st Dec 2017 06:52:04

Well I’m 62 years old and provided I use magnification painting 6mm ant a problem.  The whole “I can’t see them let alone paint them” just doesn’t wash.  The bottom line is usually cash, magazines will promote those who pay their wages.  That plus the the inertia of always having used larger scales means 6mm has to work twice as hard to get the message out.  It’s not like 6mm or 1/300 is a new kid on the block.  I first became interested in the small scale figures back in the mid 1970s when I first saw Heroics and Ros Macedonian Pike blocks and micro armour.  We have been around longer than 28mm and at least as long as 15mm.

1... 45

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Little battles with Ancients by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by Lanksta
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by peter
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by bushs
18th Apr 2024