Author Topic: Hammerhead - 12th Feb - Kelham Hall, Newark  (Read 439 times)

Cranium27

• View Profile
Hammerhead - 12th Feb - Kelham Hall, Newark
« on: January 25, 2012, 06:06:01 PM »
Hi folks,

Hammerhead is one of the first shows of the year and thought I ought to go along. One thing has led to another and the result is I will be there doing a 6mm painting demo/participation. I am hoping this will be even more sucessful than the ones I held last year.

I will be trying to beat my time of 44 minutes to paint a base of Imperial Romans to a decent wargaming standard. If I have chance I will also try and get a unit of Normans done in under an hour (last outing saw 61 minutes!). We may see some Zulus gracing the boards - with a timed paint and base (using Baccus basing system). I may well be joined by fellow painter and gamer A-nonny-mouse who fancies some ACW.

There will also be plenty of opportunity for people to have a go at a range of figures from different periods in addition to the above. Or just come along and have a natter.

This has cost me a lot of Brownie points at home so I hope to see some of you there  ;D

Regards

Mike
Oooooooh shiney!!!

http://cranium27.wordpress.com/   ... finally blogging

Cranium27

• View Profile
Re: Hammerhead - 12th Feb - Kelham Hall, Newark
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:44:07 AM »
One has to say a resounding success and a string in the bow for 6mm. My thanks to a-nonny-mouse for his invaluable assistance through the day, and thanks to Peter for helping support our efforts.

Quite an interesting show with a wide array of genres on display. Some initail confusion over changing table space on arrival, but we were set up and ready to go shortly after 10. Given previous displays we were all prepared for one of us to be painting to 'drum up buisness'. Our first punter sat down to some Russian Napoleonics by 10:15, and fron then on it was pretty much all hands to the pump with three stations almost continuously in use until 2pm. With just enough time to catch our breath we thought things would quieten down, but then had a late flurry. There was a real buzz about what we were up to and a lot of interest generated in this fine scale.

Main painting request was for Napoleonics and at one point I was getting a little concerend about running out of prepared models for this era. For future demos we shall have a few more ready and also have some French to have a crack at. I guess we should have anticipated the interest in napoleonics given it being the 200th anniversary of that little fight that went on at Waterloo.

Not only did we 'introduce' several 6mm nieve people to the scale but also had the opportunity to help some existing players refine their painting techniques - to get an effective paint job in a timely fashion. Highlight of the day was helping a wonderful 8 year old girl paint up some Epic Space Marines in a purple and red scheme - given that she has never painted any models before she did incredibly well (would put some experienced paint jobs to shame). Almost instantly she mastered overbrushing and drybrushing. Her concentration and brush handling were excellent.

So no time for 'speed' painting from our good selves but an invigorating day none the less.

Will guage the Brownie point account over the next few days before I can say whether we will take the road to WMMS (assuming they will have us).

Mike
Oooooooh shiney!!!

Cranium27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 11:23:32 AM »
Doh... indeed it is... Still a bit jaded from yesterday.
Oooooooh shiney!!!

A_nonny_mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 04:20:21 PM »
Just to echo Mike's comments...

Yesterday went really well. We were astonishingly busy and it was great fun to see the enthusiasm for 6mm! As so many of us know, once you have managed to "take the jump" and give 6mm a go, it can be very rewarding. It was good to see so many people willing to give it a go, and hopefully we did our little area of the hobby (pun intended!) some good!  ;)

Best, Ian.
"When I'm gaming, I feel like I am with my tribe." - Wil Wheaton.

SaigonSaddler

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 09:42:06 PM »
Wish I could have been there!  :-\

Glad it was well received - more 6mm converts to add to the growing list. This demonstration is actually a public service - saving the innocent public from a life of 28mm slavery and attempting to play out Zama/Hastings/Austerlitz with 13 figures.

I am definately on an intercept course with WMMMMMMS in March!

Matt  :D