Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > EU customers - what is Brexit costing
TOPIC: EU customers - what is Brexit costing
Email TormaxGP PM TormaxGP
Standard User
EU customers - what is Brexit costing
TormaxGP
28th Mar 2021 05:14:41

I will let you know when my order arrive.

It was posted on January 22:nd and still havnt arrived in Sweden, or more i dont know where it is, sens its shipped whitout tracking.

//Göran

PM I am a spambot
Standard User
I am a spambot
22nd Apr 2021 09:13:44

I received an order of 6mm figures today from a certain figure manufacturer in Bardwell Street (just less than £50's worth).  I didn't have to pay anything at the post office this time.

It seems to me that the Bulgarian customs service definately prefer wargamers to model railway enthusiasts.

PM Ale
Standard User
Ale
22nd Apr 2021 09:31:07

Hi,

I'll espose the situation for my country of residence which is Italy. 

If the shipment is carried out with the Royal Mail postal services it is probable that neither customs duty nor VAT will be charged to the buyer (but read more under, for some clarifications that I will give below...) This is possible in the UK for packages weighing up to 2kg.

If the shipment is made by courier (DHL or others) it is sure that the custom duty and VAT will be applied.

For a value of the parcell of less then 22 euros VAT is not required. Unitil values of 150 euros the customs duty is not required, but the situation that has arisen at customs after brexit is still fluid and not established. Generally it is observed - for now - that the duty is set in a fixed manner.

A solution could be under declare the shipment value; if this could be done, this poses problems in the event of postal problems and consequent compensation of the insured value,

PM Ale
Standard User
Ale
22nd Apr 2021 09:34:04

So Peter I'm afraid, I will come to your area more often in the future!!!

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
23rd Apr 2021 10:18:20

Now, to begin at the beginning, do not count pennies invested (joke) on a hobby, do you think for a moment that a golfer would doubt in buying a new putt?, or a bird watcher another pair of binoculars?, or a railway modeller that elusive Engine?... this is a fake tread. I know that on my next bitrthday I will be 70 so I qualify as a bloody old fool alright... but never in my Toy Soldier Hobby (including collecting wargames armies in whatever scale I fancy) have I been "put off" by such silly things as post cost, taxes, douanes, or other devil devices... One thing  is stoping at Southampton to collect 25mm MINIFIGS at "the factory" (eighties and nineties) to avoid broken bayonets and eluding the 30% postage ... and the other complaining about 6mm I can not collect at the "works"... too far away I guess... and that includes the silly pandemic I did not expected once retired. Stop whinning and get cracking on! We are absolutely pampered by Baccus in a lot of scales... so stiff upper lip and carry on.

PM lukicpz35t
Standard User
lukicpz35t
23rd Apr 2021 11:20:35

My parcel shipped on April 1st, arrived today april 23rd. No VAT or custom paid. I live in Italy. Probably it flew under the radar because of the small size/value.

When years ago I used to purchase GHQ minis from the US, I was charged custom duties on 50% of the times, probably depending on the postmaster having had a good or bad coffee at break time. Probably the same postmaster is still working. 

Ale, Baccus can't declare a lower value, that is a fraud, Peter already wrote it somewhere on the forum.

Thanks,

Luca 

PM I am a spambot
Standard User
I am a spambot
20th May 2021 02:47:38

Not whinging, please note - Peter did ask about our experiences.  I have just received a parcel from Magister Militarium (Chariot Miniatures).  They charged £33.74 for the figures (no VAT) and £8 for postage and packing.  I paid 33.75 Bulgarian Leva (which I estimate to be about £15) at the village post office for various administrative fees and customs duties.  It took about an extra week, because I had to fill in a form at the post office to be sent to the town for customs to process before they sent the packet to the village.

In short, a little more expensive than pre-Brexit, and slightly less convenient than previously, but not as bad as what a friend had to go through last year or the year before, ordering musicians' stuff and controller for solar panels from the USA.

PM andreasgum
Standard User
andreasgum
20th May 2021 07:36:19

Shipping to Sweden, my import charge was around 20 pounds on a 48-pound order.

"I have resolved never to start an unjust war, but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies."
- Charles XII, King of Sweden

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
21st May 2021 07:29:39

In the Netherlands things still seem to be at the whim of whoever. I have received several orders from the UK of late with no extra charges, but Peter Pig has now posted on his website about EU charges and is actively encouraging EU customers to hold off ordering until a customs solution can be worked out between the EU and UK. This again gives rise to the stupendous lie that somehow the EU stole the UK's sovereignty. Every country in the EU has its own way of dealing with customs and VAT, not to mention virtually everything else. By the way, my local supermarket sells bent bananas in hands of 7.

A little goes a long way

PM peter.mccrone
Standard User
peter.mccrone
21st May 2021 10:19:25

"

my local supermarket sells bent bananas in hands of 7.

Ohhhhh, the humanity!!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Paint for Pay by wargameGary
18th May 2024

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by LEmpereur
18th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
17th May 2024

New GNW scenario book by hwiccee
17th May 2024

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by Colin the Wargamer
16th May 2024