Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > EU customers and VAT IOSS
TOPIC: EU customers and VAT IOSS
PM peter
Administrator
EU customers and VAT IOSS
peter
30th Jul 2021 11:27:15

We are just in to our first week of the bureaucratic hell that is IOSS bureaucracy.  (To anyone who knew, 'exactly what they were voting for', can I please invite them to spend half an hour with Lindy who will show them what 'suffering' really means.)  

A major part of this process requires us to provide commercial invoices for each order stating a full breakdown of items, HS codes, price in Euros etc.  For a small company like us, this is a lot of work and effort and a big investment in time and resources.   This is a new system and I do not expect it to work perfectly, especially as there are 27 different sovereign customs systems in play, Please let me have feedback.   Did anyone actually bother to check to the paperwork?   Were there problems and what were they?  Did it all work smoothly?   I want this to make this work, but I do need feedback.  

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
31st Jul 2021 07:58:27

As I haven't ordered any Baccus since this started  I can't report on those products until after August. I have received a couple of orders from two other British companies this month, one of which was very detailed on cost of each item minus the British VAT, with the Dutch VAT then added, plus 4E customs handling, so not too bad. However the result of Brexit, plus my move, means that I am only buying wargame figures, rules and bases from the UK. Everything else I can get over here, especially as the model shops are far superior to anything I have come across in the UK.

A little goes a long way

PM naponicoleone
Standard User
naponicoleone
3rd Aug 2021 09:18:20

I made my first Baccus order this weekend with the new IOSS system. I live in Belgium and i will keep the forum informed of the result. Hope there won't be any problems.

PM Emjenic
Standard User
Emjenic
9th Aug 2021 11:55:36

I live in Belgium and have two parcels on the way from Baccus. I received notice of posting from Peter on the 29th of July. Today, August 9th, I received two letters from Bpost dated Augst 4th, requiring me to pay additional costs of € 33,74 and  € 45,19 before August 10th (immediately, in effect!), respectively, to have the parcels delivered. In both cases, customs fees are €15 (steep, but fair enough), but VAT is also charged meaning that VAT is essentially paid twice. This is really not funny and means that, for the moment, the IOSS seems not to be working as it should.

PM Daniele Bruccoleri
Standard User
Daniele Bruccoleri
11th Aug 2021 08:28:50

Is there any positive example of parcels delivered without problems with "IOSS  system" in addition to the bad adventure described by Emjenic?

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
11th Aug 2021 01:43:39

The system appears to have collapsed in the Netherlands. Today I received a letter from PostNL telling me a package had arrived and giving me its code. In the past, when I enter this code on their site I get a message telling me how much to pay either over the counter or direct by bank transfer. Easy. Today when I entered the code I got a string of questions asking me what was in the package, what was it worth and what was its invoice number. As I am expecting four packages I could not answer the question as the values vary between 0 (a replacement for a wrongly sent package) and 75 pounds. I then went on the help chatbot (which I could happily attack with all manner of drills, screwdrivers etc) and eventually it gave me a package number and phone number to call (why not simply put these both on the letter, especially as it was in Dutch, a language which, at 68 years old, I do not think I will ever master unless I can get into the habit of speaking like Yoda).  So, I phoned the number and it simply rang and rang. I will try again tomorrow, but at the moment I would like to line all those who voted Brexit up against a wall and put a brain improvement bullet in each skull.

A little goes a long way

PM Noktu
Standard User
Noktu
11th Aug 2021 06:05:43

Just received my mail from the customs office. It seems they just want your IOSS number and it's alright. Atleast here in Finland.

Could I get the IOSS number in private message? Or else I'm required to pay the VAT twice. ( Didint see any IOSS number provided in Paypal )

[EDIT] Or did I even pay VAT when ordering?

Best Regards,

Noktu

PM lukicpz35t
Standard User
lukicpz35t
19th Aug 2021 08:30:58

order 17414, shippet to Italy on July 29th, arrived August 19. My father collected it for me, and had to pay about 16 euro, which is not a custom duty as I have just discovered, but the difference of the value of the product+ shipping cost+ 22% vat + transaction costs.

Here is an example of the crazy calculus applied:

You buy in the US from a company that mails products for a total of $ 50 + $ 20 shipping costs. The customs exchange rate (EUR / USD) for the current month is 1.38340 EUR / USD.

INHERENT VALUE = 50 USD / 1.38340 (EUR / USD) = 36.14 EURO
TRANSACTION VALUE = (50USD + 20USD) / 1.38340 (EUR / USD) = 50.60 EURO

You are in the € 22 to € 150 range of INHERENT VALUE.

The final value will be:
(TRANSACTION VALUE + VAT) + CARRIER FEES
(50,60 EUR + 22%) + 5,50 EUR = 67,23 EUR

At Poste Italiane, at the time of delivery you will have to pay € 16.63 in cash (FINAL VALUE - TRANSACTION VALUE).

source: https://support.packlink.com/hc/it/articles/208492135-Quando-vengono-addebitati-i-dazi-doganali-e-come-si-calcolano-

PM lukicpz35t
Standard User
lukicpz35t
19th Aug 2021 08:38:03

This means that the IOSS is being disregarded in Italy, at least in my case, because they apply all that crazy rules. If they had already considered the VAT, I would have at the most paid just the handling fee. 

Given this situation, I'd prefer to have the option to order with no VAT and IOSS system at the source, since I'm being charged the VAT and the extras at arrival. At least I get ripped only by one villain (Italy). :-) 

Thanks, Luca 

PM Emjenic
Standard User
Emjenic
20th Aug 2021 11:56:15

Today, I have finally received my final package. However, on both I have now paid VAT twice. Belgian bureaucracy being Byzantine as it is, you are not allowed to interact with the Customs Office directly, only through Bpost. However, Bpost will only allow you to dispute the costs you are charged before the parcel is delivered. Obviously, the proof is in the invoices included in the parcel, which they will not deliver if you don't first pay up, after which you can no challenge the fees levied. Sigh. I can only advise to ask Peter for a copy of the invoices through mail, then you can prove that VAThas already been paid. Obviously, if anyone would bother to actually look at the invoices included with the package, as they are supposed to, none of this would be a problem. Ah well. Glad yo heb my new toys in hand anyway. A big shout out to Peter, who's been very communicative and understanding, even if  he has not been able  to actually do much about the whole thing.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by dourpuritan
14th May 2024

And you thought 6mm was small? by dourpuritan
14th May 2024

And you thought 6mm was small? by David Kay
14th May 2024

And you thought 6mm was small? by peter
13th May 2024

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by Colin the Wargamer
12th May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS