Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Subject
TOPIC: Subject
PM peter
Administrator
That was 2021, this is 2022
peter
31st Dec 2021 02:05:03

Once again I find myself staring at a computer screen posting my ramblings about the past year and trying to part the shrouds of time to peer into the future.  

Let’s start with the certainties.  It has to be said, that in current times, the only certainty is that things are very uncertain.  With that little preamble out of the way, some twelve months ago, I made some wild predictions about what we were going to release in 2021.  Let’s see how I did.   My forecasts are in italics…

The Ancients ranges have been sidelined for a while, but we are currently trialing three new sculptors, and if things happen as they should, some old favorites are facing a resculpt and some new ranges may be added.  

Off to a flying start here!  None of the above happened.   Basically, our main sculptor for this period was unavailable for personal reasons, and we couldn’t find a suitable replacement or stand-in.

The Great Northern War ranges will be undergoing a major overhaul.   Existing codes will be replaced by up to date superb sculpts and those items on offer expanded.   Work has started on the Swedes, which will be the first range to be overhauled, with the Russians next in the queue.   The Cossacks will be getting their own discrete range, then the Poles, and finally the Turks.   This will be a seriously big project and is expected to take a couple of years to complete.

Well, the Swedes have been completed and jolly nice they are too.  The first of the Russian codes are available (okay, this is a bit of a cheat, as they are just repurposed WSS codes) and work is underway on the rest of the range. 

The American Civil War range will get some minor tweaking as the existing artillery pieces and materiel codes will be replaced with newer versions and some new models added.  In fact this process has already started as this picture demonstrates.

A minor victory here!  All of the old models were replaced with new one piece castings, we added a 20pdr Parrott and a new limber and caisson.  Small, but very welcome additions to the range.

At long, long, long last we have finally cracked the process of producing split rail fences   I think the appearance of ACW24 early in 2021 will be most welcome.

It was indeed!  We must have delivered linear miles of these castings in the last 12 months to some very grateful customers.

Staying close in terms of time and place, if not historical accuracy, there is a great deal more to come from Pony Wars.    The major players are already out there in the forms of US cavalry, Indians and settlers, but there is a LOT more to come.    Over the next few months all the extras that are needed will be making an appearance; Indian Scouts, stagecoaches, Pony Express Riders, wagons of all shapes and sizes, teepees, railroad workers and the Lone Ranger himself.    We are even introducing a magnificently modelled period steam train and rolling stock plus the track system to go with it.   As a spin-off we will also be producing a train set suitable for ACW scenarios.   There are actually more bits planned, but I think that you get the picture.

And all of the above, bar the railway construction crew, made their entrance on to the scene to help make the Pony Wars models the top selling range in our catalogue this year.

And talking of Pony Wars, the rules themselves will be published early in the 2021.     These will be full colour, hardback and include a double deck of laminated cards.    They will be a real piece of wargames history brought up to modern production standards.

And lo!  These things did come to pass…and didn’t they keep us busy and cause a few late nights for the admin department!   On a personal note, the publication of these rules was a very personal project and I am delighted with the end result, both in the quality of the finished product, but more importantly, their reception and the obvious respect that Ian’s work still commands.

Getting back to a more gritty reality, the releases for the Great War will continue.   

And continue they did, with the release of the Belgian forces, dog cart and all.  We also added a MkIV female tank.  However, the promised Mk V’s and Highlanders failed to materialise.

Which brings us on the Second World War.   Let’s start off with the Germans.   Releases will range from the small, (Kettenkrad) to the large (Elefant) with lots in between.   We will be releasing formation packs for all arms of service including Fallschirmjaeger and all the bits needed to start campaigning the latter months of the Eastern front.   

Bit of a mixed picture here.  Neither the Elefant nor the Kettenkrad made it, but lots and lots of other models were released in a steady flow, ranging from the Panther shown here, to armoured cars, trucks and a very tasty command group.   The end result is that we have very nearly completed all of the German models that we feel are necessary for North West Europe. 

The British army will finally get its armoured arm fully equipped along with armoured formation packs.   

Strangely enough, the British army DID get its armoured arm with Shermans, Churchills, Cromwells and even a Challenger  added to the range.  In addition there were Crusader AA variants,  masses of armoured cars and even a Recce command group.    As with the Germans, the British range is now all but complete for NWE.

The Americans will finally turn up to the show.  Their artillery is already done and will be the first to be released, but armour, half tracks, trucks and tows are well into development.

Well, that’s put an end to what had been a pretty good run.  Once again, nary a sign of a GI nor their equipment.   The effort went into completing the existing British and German ranges.

To round all of the above out, our eyes are firmly turned eastwards.   Much of the German equipment for this Ostfront is already completed or in progress, and the first batch of Russian infantry moulds is nearing completion.    The initial range of artillery is ready to roll and work is advanced on vehicles.

Yes, a complete tissue of lies.   Not even a whiff of cold weather gear or winter camo.  About as much substance as a Brexiteer’s solemn promise.

However there were a couple of developments that weren’t in the forecast.   Firstly we introduced the option to have artillery crew in different formats; Standard, Smock, Fallschirmjager or shirtsleeve order for the Germans and Standard and shirt sleeve for the British.   This has proved to be a very popular set of options and widened the scope of use for the growing range of artillery for both sides.

Secondly, we took the decision to move to change the format of our packaging away from the very large formations down to company/battalion level, using the excellent ‘O Group’ rules from Two Fat Lardies as the basis of the organization.  The end result was a series of all arms packs which will grow into a flexible modular system for building your forces.    As part of the process, we introduced a boxed starter set available, designed along the same lines as our very popular sets for our own Polemos rules series.   This has proved to be a very popular move indeed.

And finally, there will be a gradual improvement of existing codes and additions to our Equipment ranges.

I missed the word ‘very’ repeated a couple of times in front of the word ‘gradual’.   We did, however, replace EQU1 wagons with new models,  so not an entirely untruthful pledge.

Ambitious?  Of course.   Can we do it?   Remains to be seen, doesn’t it?

On the whole, not bad under the circumstances.  Yes, there were some big misses, but we actually hit most of the targets to a reasonable degree and added a couple of unexpected releases.

2021 presented us with two main sets of challenges.  The first and, frankly, the dominant issue was Covid.   This restricted our ability to process and cast orders for the first part of the year and then saw us putting a number of size restrictions on orders, this only being lifted by the Summer.   The Great Plague also put paid to yet another Joy of Six.   We did attempt to lessen the damage by hosting a ‘Virtual JOS’ which went amazingly well given our beginners’ status with this sort of thing, but was not a real replacement.  It also had a negative effect on our introduction of new releases.

Covid also saw multiple UK shows cancelled and Salute postponed and then transplanted into mid-November.   Given that this time of year is already massively busy under normal circumstances this meant that last three months of the year were pretty frantic.  To help us out in this period, we added another caster to the team and dragooned our mouldmaker into helping out with the casting which meant that we’ve had all four available machines working away.     As I type this, the Omicron variant is letting rip in the UK.   We have no idea if this is going to wreck plans as we move into 2022, and what effect it may have on the next few months.   If past experience is anything to go by, it will still be a wild ride.

The other challenge was represented by the continuing madness that is Brexit.  The major impact came through the requirement for the UK to conform to ‘third country’ status when exporting to EU countries.  This has had major implications for any mail order business, essentially centred around VAT and carrier handling fees and was potentially bad news for both the UK exporter and customers in the EU.   From our point of view we joined the EU IOSS scheme which enabled us to continue to charge VAT at the point of purchase and therefore save our EU customers from the excess charge and delay in receipt of orders.  However, this has been at a considerable cost to us in financial terms as membership of the IOSS scheme is not cheap and in the considerable extra paperwork involved and time spent corresponding with customers navigating what has become a much more convoluted process.   It has come as no surprise to us that many of our long-standing customers in the EU have given up ordering from us completely.   Sales to EU countries in the last six months have fallen by approximately 70%.   The administration time taken to process the remaining 30% of those orders has ballooned beyond belief, pushing up the costs to ridiculous levels.   On the other hand, er…Unicorns and blue passports.

But enough of this retrospective.  Let’s look to the sunlit upland of 2022 and what fantasies my fevered imagination can conjure up for the coming twelve months.   One of the biggest negative factors on new releases over the last 18 months has been the fact that we have had to work on restricted production.   There has been little incentive for us to put out new codes when we know that they cannot be ordered or they may take months to get to their new owners.    With extra staffing in place and staff vaccinated so often they look like pin cushions, we hope to put that firmly in the past.

Working chronologically, I am still confident that the postponed resculpt of some of our older Ancients ranges will go ahead.   There will also be some completely new codes added to the catalogue.  I have had a long-held ambition to expand our late bronze age/early iron age ranges from the existing Egyptian/Hittite codes as there are some colourful and spectacular armies waiting to be made.   Let’s see if we can make 2022 the year of the Chariot.

The great Great Northern War refurbishment will continue with the completion of the new Russian codes, some new Cossacks and, with a fair wind, a makeover for the Poles. 

There are still a number of Pony Wars releases to come in the next few months.   There are plans to release a full range of the required buildings and a specially designed terrain mat.   There is an outside chance of the promised railway construction crew and maybe some mean hombre outlaws…. On the rules side of things the aim is to develop the ponywars.uk site into an online resource with game aids and extra rules and supplements available for free download.

There are more Great War codes in the wings awaiting release.  The aim is to have Highlanders, Stormtroopers and a batch of British tanks made available by the end of the year.

Which brings us nicely to the Second World War. 

Our first aim is to add the final few codes to complete the British and German forces for North West Europe 1944-45.   This is already well in hand, with all the models completed in master form.    With this behind us, the plan is for the US army to arrive.   Once again, most of the models are made, it being mostly a matter of getting the moulds made and production castings made.

Finally, the aim is for the Red Army to make its appearance.   As we have shown with our approach to the current ranges, both the US and Soviet ranges will aim to be comprehensive  covering armour, recce, logistics, artillery, infantry and support weapons.   In my ideal world this will all be completed by the end of 2022 which will then enable us to switch to North Africa and the Middle East which will give us a massive range of new subjects to tackle.

We also aim to release the first of our aircraft models for the period, of which more, later.

We will continue to expand the range of company and support packs for the period for both the existing ranges but also for the US and Russian armies as they come into play.

The aim is to finally get to stage a proper ‘in the flesh’ Joy of Six 2022.    The date pencilled in is Sunday July 3rd.   We are still awaiting final confirmation from the University on the booking for the venue.  As soon as this is in place, booking forms for both games and traders will be made available.

Sadly, one prediction that I can make with 100% accuracy is that we will need to introduce a price increase across the board.  This will come into force from January 13th.   I never like doing this, but it really is a necessary evil - our admin, material and postal costs have rocketed this past year. 

Which brings us to the final section where I say, ‘Thank you’, to all those people; those who work for, with and around Baccus; those who support us by buying what we sell and without whom we could never exist; those who play games with our little men; those who attend the Joy of Six and those who just collect and game with 6mm figures no matter what their make or origin.  It is a pleasure to be associated with each and every one of you.  (If this all sounds familiar, I cut and pasted this from last year’s message, and the one before that,  but it was true then, it is true now and I couldn’t write it better again.)

On behalf of the Team Baccus may I wish you all a safe, happy and prosperous 2022.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
that was 2021, this is 2022
LEmpereur
31st Dec 2021 11:39:31

Thanks for these good news Peter!

:-) 

We really appreciate the "one piece" antic cart received... no glue is very good thing!

Yes the fence are very good!

Expand the late bronze age/early iron age ranges is a very good idea... We can wait for it!

And for the darks ages? some thing to see soon? it is Our Favorite Range!

Thanks Peter for the virtual Joy of Six and to have product those beautifull 6mm figures during this difficult period!

Best wishes to all!

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

PM rsjahn
Standard User
thanks!
rsjahn
31st Dec 2021 04:12:10

Hi Peter, Guys, Minions... 

many thanks for you efforts in difficult times - coming still form a customer form the continent ... or Europe ... or whatsoever!

Ralf

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
General Subject
Glenn Pearce
1st Jan 2022 02:12:03

Hello Peter!

What a year for you and your staff. Can't even imagine having to deal with a worse situation, that's simply not possible. My appreciation to you and your staff, and I'm sure many others is unwaviering. Yet the road ahead is actually still full of uncertanty and difficulties. The only reassurance we do have, is you and your staff working full out day after day. For what, metal trinkets that are only appreciated by your customers. 

Yet in the face of all of this your still able to raise the bar even higher by giving us an outstanding peek into the future.  Glad I'm on board and sailing into the future with you. Just an incredible firm. Bravo!!!

Glenn

PM DBS
Standard User
2022 Forecast
DBS
1st Jan 2022 08:46:07

I have had a long-held ambition to expand our late bronze age/early iron age ranges from the existing Egyptian/Hittite codes as there are some colourful and spectacular armies waiting to be made.   Let’s see if we can make 2022 the year of the Chariot.

Fantastic news - fingers crossed.  If there is one code in the existing Egyptian/Hittite ranges that is screaming for a resculpt, it is the Sherden.  I also miss the old "hillmen / highlander", or whatever it was called, code that was in the Hittites before you modernised that range - round shield and helmet.  It was so versatile for the period.

PM njt236
Standard User
My Achilles heel
njt236
1st Jan 2022 11:37:38

Mycenaeans and Trojans would be great

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
New Year's Knees-up - Politie,politie
dourpuritan
2nd Jan 2022 02:35:48

The 21/22 review made for interesting reading. I suppose the point of real relevance for me was the BOLLOCKS THAT IS BREXIT! Having ordered an 1859 Austrian army on November 10th, and since being informed that it has been despatched I am still awaiting the tramp of many little feet into my letterbox. Before the development of home computers and internet shopping ordering by letter from a printed catalogue was still quicker. It is interesting to note that a number of new EU figure manufacturers have cropped up of late - a Belgian company is producing (very, very slowly) an exquisite range of 1/144th figures, WoFun in Romania have added many new ranges to their output in the last 12 months, Mirliton are still going strong in Italy, Eagles of Empire in Denmark have some lovely 28mm ranges for skirmish games (of interest to me is their FPW range). Also of note for me in NL are the number of extremely well stocked model shops available  that also have on-line ordering as well, so I never run out of paint, brushes, flock, etc. It is sad to note that 70% of EU sales have dropped off, but it really is of no surprise. And yes, I am sorry to say that England is very much the laughing stock of the rest of Europe at the moment, so stay home to work, but party in your thousands, that should put a stop to Omicron.

A little goes a long way

PM IdahoGuy1
Standard User
Woo!
IdahoGuy1
2nd Jan 2022 11:11:30

Hang in there, Peter (and the rest of the Baccus crew).  I've placed a few orders as I've rediscovered wargaming (love 6mm Warmaster Ancients and am rebuilding those armies between you and a few other 6mm suppliers).  I'd love to see you do a Warring States/Qin/Han Chinese range one day but sending you and the Baccus family warm thoughts from the other side of the Pond (from surprisingly snowy Seattle).

It's been so hard finding 6mm since I moved back to the States for an academic career over a decade ago but I'm so glad that you post to this 6mm backwater!  :)  I just wish I had bought all my lead before leaving Blighty!

Michael

PM lukicpz35t
Standard User
bronze age
lukicpz35t
3rd Jan 2022 07:51:34

I'm very exited to hear about the expansion of the bronze age range!

I suggest to do some Assyrians as well, and some sort of generic middle eastern troops, those may come handy as philistean/sea people/wathever obscure armies with no sources.

I suggest also to make the fancy elamites (I hope I'm correct) camel riders with 2 riders. Only irregular makes them, but I'd like to see them in baccus quality. 

Trojans and Acheans would be a blast! I think they could be repurposed for Early Ethruscans and in general early Italic people.

Regarding Brexit: the last parcel I received, shipped with a tracking number and using a private carrier (not the Royal Mail and then Italian post), worked extremely well for me. Didn't have to pay extra taxes and it took about 1 month to arrive. 

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
A valid topic
dourpuritan
5th Jan 2022 09:06:44

Well, the little feet of my 1859 Austrian army, plus booster pack, marched into my letter box yesterday, so from ordering to delivery in the Netherlands was approximately 8 weeks, so a big improvement on an order I put in earlier last year which took four months to get to me, and contained stuff I had forgotten I'd ordered, like a paintbrush set (which, as stated, is excellent quality and well worth looking after), so my first task will be to paint up the Austrian forces for BBB Palestro.

A little goes a long way

LATEST FORUM POSTS

And you thought 6mm was small? by peter
13th May 2024

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by Colin the Wargamer
12th May 2024

Lancelot - or Lancers 4 ways... by Colin the Wargamer
12th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
12th May 2024

And you thought 6mm was small? by ithoriel
12th May 2024