Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Distributor suggestion for customers in the EU
TOPIC: Distributor suggestion for customers in the EU
PM Steffen1988
Standard User
Distributor suggestion for customers in the EU
Steffen1988
18th Jan 2022 10:27:58

Hello Peter,

I wonder how practicable it would be for Baccus 6mm to win Masters of Military as something like a Distributor for the EU?

Uwe from MoM distributes only 6mm/1:285 ranges and does this exclusive in the EU for two manufactureres from the USA and UK and has an open ear for customers and potential partners. It would makes surely the situation for Baccus easier and reduces the paper work when some parts of this gets "outsourced" to that distributor by reducing the order count.

This could also bring back old (and new customers) from the continent who are unsure to order in Britain since the Brexit dilemma.

PM rsjahn
Standard User
rsjahn
18th Jan 2022 10:41:28

Thats a nice idea, MoM has a very good service - fast and reliable. 

PM Ian Bishop
Standard User
Ian Bishop
18th Jan 2022 07:50:09

Seriously this is the way I would go (at least for the big ticket items such as the starter packs and rules).

In 28mm I collect Mythic Americas (Warlord) and Kings of War (Mantic).  I don't order any stuff from them in the UK now, I go through the main on-line shops in France (Philibert) and Germany (Fantasywelt).  Cheaper price, cheaper postage, quicker delivery, no VAT nonsense.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
19th Jan 2022 04:45:50

Tell us more. I now live in the Netherlands. Which other manufacturers use this system and how does ordering work. As well as Baccus I also order from Perrys, Peter Pig, Irregular, Kallistra, Pendraken and Warbases. Fortunately I can now source all my paints, brushes, basing materials, scatter, grass tufts etc in the Netherlands.

A little goes a long way

PM peter
Administrator
peter
20th Jan 2022 12:27:21

Thanks all for the input.  The one fact that you need to take into consideration is that not all companies work to the same business model and this affects how business is done.  Mantic and Warlord are far larger, better resourced and work on a different operational scale to Baccus.   Warlord in particular have a business model predicated on making the bulk of their sales to shops and distributors, with direct sales to customers being the icing on the cake.  They accomplish this by having the bulk of their stock produced cheaply either in print form or injection moulded plastic, meaning that they have a lot of profit margin and they set their pricing based on this.

We have a very different approach.   Our pricing is based on direct sales to customers, keeping that price low but drastically reducing any profit if sold via a third party.   There is simply no point working through a distributor if we are at best just breaking even on the deal.   Given that we are currently working at full stretch just to keep up with direct to customer sales, it is simply not practical or sensible to go down the third party sales route.

It has been undeniable that Brexit has caused huge issues both for us and our customers.   The instigators of the policy have effectively left it up to us to solve those problems while denying their existence.   What we have done is put measures in place to mitigate those problems.   The system is bedding down and orders are getting through to customers with relative ease and no extra costs to them.   Yes, there are restrictions and costs for us but we are getting round the former the best we can and absorbing the latter.

So, we will not be using an EU distributor for the forseeable future.   It may work for some, but for us, it is not a good option.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
14th May 2024

Camels by DuncanWB
14th May 2024

And you thought 6mm was small? by Wigster600
14th May 2024

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by dourpuritan
14th May 2024

And you thought 6mm was small? by dourpuritan
14th May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS