Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > HETERODOXIA
TOPIC: HETERODOXIA
PM Berggeit
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
Berggeit
25th Jan 2024 08:41:02

Over the past few weeks, I've been thinking about table/plate sizes. For the sake of brevity, I chose 2x2 as my default size. Although I still have the option for 2x4 or 3x3 (technically I also have a 3x5 board but that takes up too much space). I'm having a problem with projects getting bigger and bigger and needing to be completed before I start playing games... which puts me off gaming! Either I feel like I can't invest in a 'real' army yet, or I'm constantly having doubts.

Small board means small armies (or retinue in 28mm, I love the 40k Inquisitor games, narratively and aesthetically). So in the end I decided to take Ravenfeast 1066 as the basis for my 13th century Low Countries project. I could also use the normal Ravenfeast rules for 1:1 scale raids. The Ravenfeast big battle rules made me realize that I could also use 20x20 or 25x25 bases for Age of Hannibal! I also really like the look of Grymauch's base (6 infantry on 15x15 and 3 cavalry on 18x18), which I mentioned in my project thread and considered for the 13th-century project.

My biggest challenge will be to come up with a way to model abstract Sonae, a battalion-sized mixed unit used by the samurai in the late 16th century and into the Edo period. The idea of samurai battles is what got me into the hobby in the first place!

I've been thinking about what Whirlewind said an hour ago! To make a kind of travel version for games that fit in one wooden 'suitcase'. Snarling Badgers Studios created a zine a while ago with rules for 28mm tank duels after the apocalypse using Shermans. Using 6mm ones would be great for that!

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
Whirlwind
25th Jan 2024 09:26:00

"Point 3.  Hoping I can adapt Pony War rules for Colonial, so any views on this most welcome."

Famously, Peter Gilder used Pony Wars as the basis for his Sudan games. I believe the rules were released...these ones maybe? In any case, yes it can absolutely be done.

PM jon1066
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
jon1066
26th Jan 2024 12:12:49

I have based my Napoleonic infantry on a 50 by 10 mm magnetic strip (cavalry are 50 by 20 and guns 25 by 25)

I use them as is for my own rule set or pop them on galvanised steel bases for games like Blucher.  Two strips of infantry look fine on a 60 by 30 mm base with some room for other magnetic lables

PM bushs
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
bushs
28th Jan 2024 11:28:50

Hi Whirlwind,

Yeah those Sands of The Sudan rules were published by one of our club members. They're pretty much set up for 28mm but I bought a pile of Baccus colonial figures to play them in 6mm (still have to finish that project). The shooting rules are old school with the firing tables so I was intending on simplfying the hits and shooting system a little and using a basing system that would suit 6mm better. All the games I've been involved with at the club have been great fun. The best bit is the random attacks by the tribesman which is generated from a deck of cards that comes with the game.

Best regards,

Steve

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
ironass
28th Jan 2024 06:16:43

There you have them the 17th lancers in Zululand (Ulundi in fact)... will show when properly based (need to wait fot the one's Greg is doing).... in the meanwhile if you look behind them I have indulged myself in some Roman Commanders and Natal Native Mounted Troops (Sikhalis) LOL just searching inside the spare box produces surprise units... will show when finished and added to an old Great Battles Of The World METAURO game (the plastic original figures been lost many eons ago)... Enjoy!

Look at the "solo" 21st lancers in the background... he is going to be posted to the 17th... see below...

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
ironass
6th Feb 2024 02:25:24

What I have never done before... a transfer... see those lancers at the middle back, one stand with two lancers and one stand with one lancer... well... they did not go to the spares box but instead they were "transfered" from the 21st lancers to the 17th lancers (I repainted only the mini (figure) uniform... a fat process... so there they are now. If that is not been heterodox I do not know what it is... will put pics of them later on...

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
ironass
6th Feb 2024 06:22:47

Old and probably new bases or stands...

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
ironass
5th Mar 2024 08:17:38

Well, I do not know if it really it is an heterodox approach... but see how from a single pack of minis (BACCUS of course!), I have managed to do the Natal Mounted Police, The Carbineers, Mounted Infantry (still to do the redcoats on those) and some NNC Mounted troops from the spare box... Durnford and Vereker are courtsy from Greg (robert jackson)... That ends my Zulu War project. Ok I will post a better pic when finally flocked.

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
Whirlwind
5th Mar 2024 06:34:08

very nice. interested to see how you incorporate them into your game.

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
ironass
6th Mar 2024 08:52:37

Thank you Whirlwind!... my "games" are less games than historical reenactments... in fact I "Collect" 6MM as I collect 54mm traditional Toy Soldiers (You need all sorts you know)... Small Colonial Wars permit the use of heterodox basing (I am a fan of the 60x30 Brigade stands for the ACW for example... but even there I use single figure "markers"... againt the criteria of POLEMOS or ALTAR OF FREEDOM). As making pics with my mobile phone is easy I will Post pics the day I will reenact ISANDLWANA (But do not expect to see any Zulu... there I am really peculiar!).

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Paint for Pay by wargameGary
18th May 2024

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by LEmpereur
18th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
17th May 2024

New GNW scenario book by hwiccee
17th May 2024

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by Colin the Wargamer
16th May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS