Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Gettysburg reenacted (solo)
TOPIC: Gettysburg reenacted (solo)
Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Gettysburg reenacted (solo)
dourpuritan
2nd May 2024 09:32:00

We've all been there Jon. Currently some WWI 1914 German infantry, cavalry and artillery sitting on my cutting mat along with a 28mm early Saxon chieftain and his 5 companions (they are now on hold). There are also bases waiting to be filled, bits of scenery waiting for a drybrush and son. However, I am also enjoying seeing this replay of Gettysburg unfold.

A little goes a long way

PM Mort53
Standard User
Mort53
2nd May 2024 12:41:33

I love the table setup and enjoying the build-up but looking forward to the first bit of action, although I find myself repeatedly going through the pictures nearly as much as the Baccus catalogue (planning my list of next purchases & wants).  

Mort

there was a light at the end of the tunnel, and it was a flamethrower 

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
2nd May 2024 03:59:09

Thanks to all three... gentlemen... I am taking it easy I know... but it is complicated... your comments are truly giving me the will to go on!

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
4th May 2024 04:56:12

Heth's advance "in force" (4 Brigades + Artillery) founds Buford deployed for it. Heth should know at this point that Lee does not want a general engagement...

Ist Corps 1st Division (Cutler's and Meredith's -IRON-) arrives and Reynold's is going to relieve Buford`s cavalrymen.

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
4th May 2024 05:04:46

IMHO the firts day at Gettysburg was when the two Armies "met"... they were in fact searching one another... but Lee is not there... neither is Meade... so in a way (not really what it means) it is an "encounter battle"... Buford splendid thinking will denie the Confederates the High Ground.

The Second day was the real battle with Lee trying an outflanking move to the SouthWest with Longstreet's Corps... BUT the Union Army has learned a lot since Chancellorsville and Ewell's pressure on Culp's Hill is not enough to distract the Union Army (Ewell has been much maligned and compared to Jackson but his troops had marched and battled on the first day and on the second the Union had entrenched and are going to fight the downhill Rebs).

IF the dice allows it the third day will see (or not) that awful decision by Lee to attack entrenched troops in a strong position... will see...

Thanks for keeping with me. Of course I can not detail ALL the dice rolls... but in general I stick a lot to Historical arrival of troops and timings... Cheers

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
5th May 2024 05:14:45

Well, quite historically Reynolds is dead. Shot by a Sharpshooter.

Buford is going back to McPherson's ridge under presure.

Ist Corps and XI Corps are on the table... as Rodes from Ewell's Corps.... next will be Pender (in a traffic jam).

See pics:

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
11th May 2024 06:54:41

At the risk of boring you a bit more... have some pics of the afternoon fight (1st day of July 1863).

On the general view Lee does not want a big engagement (read big battle) without Longstreet... the farthest away from the field.

Ewell is doing quite right on the confederate left flank.

On the contrary with less troops present the Union is holding on his left flank thanks to Lee's caution and the great performance of the Iron Brigade but not exclusively.

Barlow's XI Corps 1st Division is "out in the air" on a high ground north of Gettysburg and the rebs are coming in force against him.

Probably next post would be the regrouping and retreat of the Union towards Cemetery Ridge. Quite historical so far (and I like this).

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
12th May 2024 05:03:11

Now I understand why Daniel Hodgson did not make a participation game of it!... It is complicated. Easier to sum up that practically do it.  But I will plod on kind of stubborn attitude in a way...

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
14th May 2024 05:28:40

Evening/Early Night 1st day.

2/3 of the Confederate Army have arrived. Lee arrives and talks with Ewell and A.P.Hill... but he does nothing rash without Longstreet (on the way).

The Union after a good fight are overwhelmed and retreat (in time) to Cemetery Hill AND Culp's Hill.

Next post would be already second day (where I will have to move the scenery northwards... sliding up)

Enjoy!

PM HyveMynd
Standard User
HyveMynd
15th May 2024 12:50:16

I am WELL jealous of that office set up.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
17th May 2024

New GNW scenario book by hwiccee
17th May 2024

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by Colin the Wargamer
16th May 2024

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by LEmpereur
16th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
16th May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS