Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Joy of Six 2015
TOPIC: Joy of Six 2015
PM peter
Administrator
Joy of Six 2015
peter
21st Jan 2015 10:33:10

We are delighted to be able to announce that the Joy of Six Wargames show will once again be held in Sheffield on Sunday, 19th July 2015.

The new venue!

We have a brand-new venue, and what a great place it is. This year, we are moving lock stock and barrel to the Heartspace at Sheffield Hallam University. This is a large stylish atrium which will give a light and airy atmosphere to the event – something which will be of great relief to those of you who have suffered the Workstation main room on a baking hot July day.

Heartspace

The venue also has brilliant easily accessible on-site catering, and the menu will be tailored to wargamers at reasonable prices.

There is plenty of local parking all at £1.00 GBP per day, and the venue is within easy walking distance of Sheffield Mainline station and Bus Interchange.

The Joy of Six 2014 was a great success, and the new venue will enable us to make this year's show even bigger and better.

It's time to get July 19th booked into your diary and start making your travel plans. It will be THE 6mm wargaming event on 2015.

If you want to put on a game or trade at the Joy of Six, please contact us at admin@baccus6mm.com or visit the website   http://www.thejoyof6.co.uk/ and download an application form.

Also, there's the Joy of Six Facebook page.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Joy of Six 2015
dourpuritan
21st Jan 2015 12:00:11

Will give it a go this year as I've been hooked by BBB and GWSH2. 

Cheers Bob

A little goes a long way

PM Fig.ht
Standard User
Joy of Six 2015
Fig.ht
21st Jan 2015 01:07:06

Date has been put in the diary and underlined, even got the blessing from the 'Boss' (otherwise known as 'She who must be obeyed!')

PM Wg Cdr Luddite
Standard User
Joy of Six 2015
Wg Cdr Luddite
21st Jan 2015 08:35:50

Oh how a love a light and airy atmosphere.

I only come for the greasy bacon butties.

PM Bigpeteriley
Standard User
Joy of Six 2015
Bigpeteriley
1st Feb 2015 07:38:17

Will do my best to get an "Edge of Swords" game on the go ;)

"Well, I can't stand around here doing nothing, people will think I'm a workman"

PM Dr Mike
Standard User
Joy of Six 2015
Dr Mike
2nd Feb 2015 02:28:52

I'll be there no doubt with the SMS painting clinic. If space allows then their may be a possibility of some come and play tables with some armies available from myself, although generally lots to do and see!

PM levenminiatures
Standard User
Joy of Six 2015
levenminiatures
4th Feb 2015 10:54:24

We're eally looking forward to it Peter, just got to hope I'm ready this year.

6mm resin cast buildings for wargamers - new models released most months
URL http://www.levenminiatures.co.uk
Always open to comments and suggestions

PM ian.willey
Standard User
Joy of Six 2015
ian.willey
8th Feb 2015 09:40:32

Just FINALLY booked our Waterloo game for the show. Not sure if we can make the curry the night before as we will probably be setting the game up LOL

Ian

PM Stenbock
Standard User
Joy of Six 2015
Stenbock
6th Mar 2015 12:45:38

I, Nick Dorrell and the other Wyre Forest Wargamers crew will be doing Gadebusch 1712 at the Joy of Six, another Great Northern War outing.  After two years of green fields and flowing rivers, we are returning to a wintery theme and this battle included some innovative use of artillery from the Swedes (yes you got that right) in terms of mobility.  Stenbock, the Swedish Commander and not yours truly, wrote in a letter after the battle that “Next to God, we thank Cronstedt and his cannons for the victory”.   Colonel Cronstedt was probably amongst one of the most innovative artillery commanders of his time and this aspect is often overlooked in the general study of the Swedish battle tactics during this era.

The production line is working fine and apart from basing it is all done and the boards normally are done when the weather gets a little bit better, there will be a large Danish army on the table, supported by a Saxon cavalry contingent, against the Swedes.   I have actually already started thinking about what to do in 2016.

You can read more about the battle on these pages (paste these into your browser)

http://www.tacitus.nu/gnw/battles/Gadebusch/   (excellent resource site with unirom details etc)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gadebusch

Finally listening to Nick and Neil Shuck (in his review of the Joy of Six last year) it is time to reuse one of the games just need to get to the attic storage and hope the mdf have not warped too much.  We are going to show the Joy of Six 2012 table - Fraustadt 1706 - at Salute this year.  So if you want to see some Joy of Six history in action and happen to be there, do come and say hello.  I note that there are a few more 6mm tables - 2 napoleonic games and a command horizon game put on by our friends at Wargames Emporium.

So we are looking forward to another Joyful day in Sheffield...  I like the sound of that Napoleonic table Ian, ... and the new venue looks brilliant!  I will be posting a few pictures in the next few weeks of the work in progress.

Stenbock / Per Broden

Check out my blog with some 6mm diversions - Roll a One

PM peter
Administrator
Joy of Six 2015
peter
9th Mar 2015 08:43:22

I am looking forward to seeing both games this year.   That Gadesbuch will be spectacular ( I am eagerly anticipating  seeing the Swedish Artiillery line 'charge') is a given and will be worth the trip to the JOS all by itself.

However, it is high time that the rest of the wargames community got to ogle the glory of one of Per's games and Salute is the perfect platform for it.   Sadly, as a 6mm game it is highly unlikely to figure in the awards given the scale prejudice extant in the hobby, but it should open a few eyes and get a lot of admiring visitors.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay
26th Mar 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS