Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > To have a Spares Box...
TOPIC: To have a Spares Box...
Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
To have a Spares Box...
ironass
23rd Jan 2024 07:16:58

Excuse me if someone has mentioned the subject before, but I advise you (gently) to keep a Spares Box... I did it in 25/28MM back in other Century... it was a success and it always comes handy...

Just today I converted about 20 minis(In fact Prussian Dragoons 1870) redundant from the Heavy Brigade (Crimea)... mainly Command figures... Into 17th Lancers in Zululand (Proxies of proxies if you please!)... a matter of minutes really!... Will paint myself and put a pic of the result here in some days time. And I know Peter DOES the 17th lancers in the Colonial range... (Well any lancer Regiment with a paintjob)... so QED... never throw away anything... you never know when they will come handy!... Cheers.

PM Berggeit
Standard User
To have a Spares Box...
Berggeit
24th Jan 2024 07:59:48

It seems indeed not a bad thing to order perhaps a little bit more than you need. Not only if something gets damaged beyond repair, but also for the instance you mentioned! For my medieval project, I'll be ordering an additional spearmen pack and cavalry pack so that I have some leeway. It will allow me to create some commanders, retinue's, or knight orders if I want to expand into the Baron's wars or Northern Crusades for example.

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
To have a Spares Box...
ironass
24th Jan 2024 11:55:39

Berggeit's approach is mine too!... and I thank him for saying so... a bit of surplus always helps (in 6mm sometimes a few bayonets get beyond repair in transit... they also did on the bigger scales mind!). It is sometimes incredible what you can find and use (sometimes months or years afterwards!) in the Spares Box... but to have a surplus you need to order such a little bit "more" andthat it is really affordable in God's Own Scale. Thanks for commenting!. Interesting Post.

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
To have a Spares Box...
ironass
26th Jan 2024 06:06:21

Hereby... straight from my own "spares bos"... ZuluWars 17th lancers in the making using Prussian 1870 standarbearers surplus of my Crimean Heavy Brigade Proxies...

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
To have a Spares Box...
ironass
30th Jan 2024 02:52:50

So, there you have them. Finished excepting basing. Will do and show... next days.

PM DuncanWB
Standard User
To have a Spares Box...
DuncanWB
30th Jan 2024 10:54:14

I usually have a stack of spares - sometimes only one or two per figure type. I have a couple of barbarian units where I've thrown in one that doesn't really belong to mix things up - 6mm is very forgiving for this. As my spares box fills up I have been thinking about creating one or two units of very irregular-looking barbarians all in different poses and using a very varied mixture of captured equipment. It would look a bit like some of the 28mm armies I see at the club, but in miniature.   

Altera Restat

PM David Kay
Standard User
To have a Spares Box...
David Kay
3rd Feb 2024 08:53:57

I used to have a spares box too when doing 25mms - full of shields, spears, heads and other things.

Today at 6mm I have quite a few left over figures which sometimes get recruited (as proxies - not too difficult for Ancients) into other armies or provide an inspiration for new armies. But there is a danger with this approach in that about 4 years ago I had 20+ left over Thracians and decided to start a Thracian army. The Thracians are now complete but I now have 30+ left over Thracians.......

PM Mort53
Standard User
To have a Spares Box...
Mort53
3rd Feb 2024 10:06:58

Perhaps those 30 could be a start of a Greek army (a unit of them would fit very nicely)

Mort

there was a light at the end of the tunnel, and it was a flamethrower 

PM David Kay
Standard User
To have a Spares Box...
David Kay
4th Feb 2024 03:35:05

I have 9 Greek armies already Mort - there are photographs of most of them in action on the Gallery section of the forum - which is where the original left overs came from when I had finished the Thessalians. 

PM Mort53
Standard User
To have a Spares Box...
Mort53
5th Feb 2024 01:23:07

David, I took a look in the gallery and just have a question.  The hex terrain squares do you mind if I ask where you got that from?  Figures and terrain really go we'll together the only thing missing is a 10th army ;-)

Mort

there was a light at the end of the tunnel, and it was a flamethrower 

LATEST FORUM POSTS

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by dourpuritan
28th Apr 2024

French white coat infantry in Tarleton helmets with colourful flags 1791-94 by Colin the Wargamer
27th Apr 2024

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS

LATEST RELEASES

HCNOMAD - Hail Caesar Arab Nomad ArmyHCNOMAD
Hail Caesar Arab Nomad Army

GNF11 - Ottoman Turkish FlagsGNF11