Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > NW Frontier 1897
TOPIC: NW Frontier 1897
PM peter
Administrator
NW Frontier 1897
peter
22nd Feb 2018 05:11:08

On its way to you today....

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
NW Frontier 1897
dourpuritan
7th May 2018 04:27:49

The genie in the bottle can't help then?

A little goes a long way

PM BarnacleBill
Standard User
NW Frontier 1897
BarnacleBill
8th May 2018 08:25:44

Essential reading for Maiwand is Leigh Maxwell's "My God Maiwand!" or, better still, to have attended Col. Maxwell's talk on the subject to the Victorian Military Society.   He had walked the battlefield (long before the Taliban) and had served with horse drawn artillery on the frontier so could talk knowledgeably about taking a gun, limber and full team through a nullah, etc.: marvellous stuff.   The Second Afghan War and the succeeding years up to the Thirrd Afghan War are fascinating and ideal for 6mm gaming, but we do need some more Pathans.   The photographs look superb.

PM HuubStegeman
Standard User
NW Frontier 1897
HuubStegeman
14th Aug 2018 11:27:19

This looks great! Can I ask what you use for the enemy? I've ordered a sample of H&R pathans, but I'd really like find something which can pass for the Afghan army of slightly earlier (Second Afghan War). I've looked at Irregulars series, but from the pictures I get the impression they lack detail. I think maybe Baccus qualitty has spoiled me for al other brands...

:-/

PM HuubStegeman
Standard User
NW Frontier 1897
HuubStegeman
15th Aug 2018 12:04:36

Which limbers did you use for the bigger artillery, by the way?

And how did you accomplish the mountain guns on mules? Did you just use parts of a mountain gun pack and stick those onto mules (3 per gun?) with a little filing?

PM HuubStegeman
Standard User
NW Frontier 1897
HuubStegeman
15th Aug 2018 12:33:41

Meanwhile, this has got me thinking: Peter? (Hope you read this) Your army packs are considerably more affordable than the same number of loose units, if my calculations are correct. Would you be prepared to design a NWF army pack, which could contain, say: (the later variety of) English infantry, Highlanders, Indian cavalry, Mountian guns, Mules, mounted infantry, Indian infantry etc. Something of comparable weight to the Sudan pack, therefore?

I mean: I'm not too stingy to assemble it myself of course, but it would help. ;-)

PM HuubStegeman
Standard User
NW Frontier 1897
HuubStegeman
15th Aug 2018 01:02:42

Well, I only started this hobby again about half a year ago, after having abandoned it 35 years earlier. Back then I had airfix ACW and Prinz August moulds to cast my own 18th century armies. I thought I should try a completely new period, preferably with one of these all-in packs. It gave me a good excuse to start reading on the Roman Empire as well. I still like Ancients a lot, and I will most certainly continue that line too, but my old love (somewhat tempered by brexit and the accompanying jingoïsm) is the British Empire, particulary in the 'Wild East'. I have a thing fot pith helmets, I guess...

And there are similarities between the two empires of course!

PS: I'm not British myself...

PM HuubStegeman
Standard User
NW Frontier 1897
HuubStegeman
15th Aug 2018 03:27:47

Really, you don't like to paint the 6mm yourself? For me that is the main thing! Fighting is only secondary...

:-)

https://belgae6mm.blogspot.com/

PM HuubStegeman
Standard User
NW Frontier 1897
HuubStegeman
16th Aug 2018 03:35:58

thnx!

PM HuubStegeman
Standard User
NW Frontier 1897
HuubStegeman
17th Aug 2018 08:27:25

So what did you (or your painters) use for the main colour of their uniforms, the 'khaki'? Any time I look at khaki paints from the usual brands, I find that it is much greener than any of the colours you see in paintings of the period, in films or in Osprey books. It could just be my colour preception, but to me that looks more like beige.

You probably saw this one coming a  mile away, but meanwhile I'm planning a massive NWF-project for this autumn and winter...

:-)

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay
26th Mar 2024