Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > Austrian Wagons
TOPIC: Austrian Wagons
PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Austrian Wagons
Colin the Wargamer
18th Feb 2021 10:49:21

I have scratchbuilt a couple of Austrian ammo wagons & a forge, using Baccus wheels (from Equ01).  I've posted a work-in-progress report on https://colinthewargamer.blogspot.com/2021/02/austrian-wagons-battle-field-adornments.html and I'll post again when they are painted.  I hope that this encourages you to have a go.  

The ammo wagon took about 2-3 hours for the first one and less time once I had figured out how to do it.  The forge took a lot longer and is definitely not going to be repeated for a while!  I hope this inspires you to have a go!  

Peter - thanks for sending me just EQU01 wheels and horses - that made these models possible!

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Austrian Wagons
dourpuritan
19th Feb 2021 10:28:13

Those are remarkable given the size.

A little goes a long way

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Austrian Wagons
Colin the Wargamer
19th Feb 2021 10:31:38

@ dourpuritan - Thank you!  They are a bit fiddly.  I'd be happy to write some notes on construction, if you fancy giving it a go!

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Austrian Wagons
dourpuritan
20th Feb 2021 01:20:40

That would be interesting. My Austrian armies are either side of Napoleon, ie SYW, 1859 and 1866. I am assuming they were mainly motorised by 1914 but would be happy to be corrected.

A little goes a long way

PM mjwhitekingston
Standard User
Austrian Wagons
mjwhitekingston
23rd Feb 2021 07:17:33

Splendid models... Well done!

I've been thinking about this exact project for some time, but working out the dimensions has been a challenge. It would be great if you could share your construction notes, dimensions of the major parts...

My original thought was to make the basic wagon body out of balsa since it's easy to work with, and then use thin plastic strips for the side supports and other fine details. It looks like you used plastic for everything. Is that correct? Thanks! 

Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
Austrian Wagons
LEmpereur
24th Feb 2021 11:07:02

Great job!

Big Bravo!

:-)

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Austrian Wagons
Colin the Wargamer
24th Feb 2021 07:13:47

Dear All  Thanks for the nice comments.  

I have now posted a "how to" on my blog 

https://colinthewargamer.blogspot.com/2021/02/building-wagons-1-austrian-supply-wagon.html

The wagons did not take too long to make and I'm quite pleased with the results.  I will post more once they are painted, based and have some motive power attached.  The next project will be a French 4 wheel 4 horse wagon. 

PM mjwhitekingston
Standard User
Austrian Wagons
mjwhitekingston
25th Feb 2021 02:01:01

Wonderful! Thank you so much for posting your notes. I'm keen now to start this project. I think I have all the bits to make it work... except for the 1/200 ladder for the luggage rack. I do have some zip ties that I think I can make work for the rack. I will post photos soon. Thanks again. 

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Austrian Wagons
Colin the Wargamer
25th Feb 2021 10:29:07

Glad you liked it.

If you can get hold of ladder section that would be great.  If not, I would suggest you stick the baggage to the rear of the wagon and then build the baggage rack around that.  An artfully draped "canvas tilt" will also work, if you're not happy with the rear baggage rack.  

I look forward to photos soon.  I've undercoated my wagons but forgot the draft horses - Doh!  Let's hope the weather is still OK for spraying tomorrow!!  

Cheers!  Colin

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
Austrian Wagons
ironass
14th Mar 2021 11:29:33

Really Impressive Job Colin!... BRAVO!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by jon1066
3rd May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by milopea
3rd May 2024