Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > Proper base sizes?
TOPIC: Proper base sizes?
PM yolobucks
Standard User
Proper base sizes?
yolobucks
9th Aug 2021 09:12:38

Hello all,

I've just put in an order for some Normans and Anglo-Saxons and have realized that the models do not come with bases. I can make some assumptions about the proper base sizes for each kind of unit (will only be playing with early medieval & feudal/crusades) based on the images, but I'm not finding any absolute sizes for each type of unit on the FAQ. My guesses:

Infantry - BASE6 - 40mm x 20mm
Cavalry - BASE1&2 - 60mm x30mm
Skirmishers - BASE6 - 40mm x 20mm
Commanders - BASE4 - 30mm x 30mm (or BASE5 - 60mm x 60mm??)
Casualties - BASE4 - 30mm x 30mm

Any players of these time periods that can help with this? I'm going off of what the website images show; my guesses could be wildly wrong so any help would be very appreciated!

Thank you,
Preston

PM MattiT
Standard User
Proper base sizes?
MattiT
9th Aug 2021 10:04:35

All of the pictures in those two ranges look like they are on 60x30 bases to me, with the commanders being on 30x30. Although, you shouldn't consider that to be the 'proper' base size in any case. Baccus doesn't even sell a ruleset for the period so there is no 'recommendation' other than the 'this is how we normally base things'. Think about what game system you'll be playing or are hoping to play, and how other people around you have based their models. My experience is that both 6mm and 10mm ancients and dark ages tend to be based on 40mm x 20mm or some variant thereof, but others will have different accounts based on their local scenes. 

PM yolobucks
Standard User
Proper base sizes?
yolobucks
9th Aug 2021 10:48:24

Thanks for the reply. I've chosen Hail Caesar, as there are rules for the units in this range and it seems like a fun system. I really appreciate you narrowing it down for me; do you or do you know people who have a preference for 40x20 over 60x30? Some Googling shows that they both work just fine, but 60x30 just seems a bit less cramped.

PM MattiT
Standard User
Proper base sizes?
MattiT
9th Aug 2021 11:01:06

60x30 is totally fine and great, any 2:1 basing scheme will probably work pretty well with most non-skirmish rulesets, and it allows you to have more figures on the base. I don't actively partake in ancients, but the people around me who do based their figures for Warmaster ancients, which is why they use 40x20. Hail Caesar is so base agnostic that either will likely be fine. Even if you later were to find out that other people in your area tend to use 40x20 basing, it isnt the end of the world either: three 40x20 bases have the same frontage as two 60x30 bases anyway, and the slight difference in base depth will likely be no issue for anyone who is up for a game.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Proper base sizes?
Glenn Pearce
18th Aug 2021 08:02:33

40x20 became popular in 6mm ancients because the people who wrote some of the ancient rules at the time who were 15mm players thought that was a good size for 6mm. Actual 6mm players later discovered that the 60x30 was a better fit and as you mentioned gives you more elbow room to space out the figures and dress up the bases. The 60x30 is also very popular in the horse and musket periods so if you ever venture into that period you'll have a uniform base size for your entire collection.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Proper base sizes?
dourpuritan
19th Aug 2021 10:05:08

TBH Glenn I agree with you, in the sense that rule writers' base sizes seem to be based either on supposed frontage of a unit, or what looks good to them. I have found two things, namely that sometimes you have to adjust base sizes to fit your table (although 6 feet long mine is only three feet wide, and I do not want to mess about with a large gaming base sitting on top - have seen what elbows on the temporary table top can do). Secondly, I am a big fan of large bases and am happy to abstract varying formations, but some people see physically representing formations as an essential part of their game, which usually results in smaller bases. Consequently "proper" basing is actually a personal choice, or an agreed choice between players, and is only a reality in competition style games (which are not my bag).

A little goes a long way

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Proper base sizes?
Glenn Pearce
19th Aug 2021 02:13:16

Oh for sure basing, like figures and rules are all personal choices. Don't know if your aware or not but there seems to be a growing trend for some people who have small tables to use the 30mm x 30mm base as their main base for infantry and cavalry. That gives them the option of gaming with people who are using 60x30 by simply using two 30x30. It also lets them form a 60x60 with four bases with the option of playing games that support formation changes. Another extremely flexible base in the Polemos family. 

Standard User
Proper base sizes?
dourpuritan
19th Aug 2021 07:41:16

Cheers Glenn

A little goes a long way

PM Archon
Standard User
Proper base sizes?
Archon
28th Oct 2021 08:49:23

Hello,

I'm expecting my Baccus Carthaginian and Roman armies in the mail soon. I do have some 50mm by 25mm black plastic bases and was wondering if this was a flexible enough option for different rules sets. Is this doable? 

Regards,

John

Standard User
Proper base sizes?
dourpuritan
29th Oct 2021 08:30:58

I would say yes, particularly if you are providing both sides. You may or may not have to cut some of the Baccus bases for a good fit (use a quality sprue cutter for this, such as the one sold by Baccus). I would also suggest putting some of the figures on 25x25mm bases to give that extra flexibility should you decide to game with a variety of rules. Another option that I have found extremely useful is to use a 7mm D6 in a dice frame that has been glued to a small circular base. the dice can then be used to indicate how many smaller bases your 50mm base represents, and can also show casualties after losses. It can even be used to show individual figure losses on a multi-figure base, by changing the colour of the dice as the base takes losses, eg If your base represents fifteen figures use a white dice showing three. when three figures are lost change to a green dice showing six. When the next six figures are lost use a red dice showing six.  I am currently using this method to play a skirmish level game using multi-based figures, which still operate in units in these particular rules.

A little goes a long way

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by milopea
3rd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by ChrisBBB
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
2nd May 2024