Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > Basing for the various Warlord Games systems
TOPIC: Basing for the various Warlord Games systems
PM badbones777
Standard User
Basing for the various Warlord Games systems
badbones777
29th Aug 2015 11:03:24

Hey guys,

Just wondering how those who play the above (Primarily HC & BP as my P&S project is a ways off) base for them, and if you think the following might work?

BP: Was pretty much going to shamelessly pinch this gentlemans good ideas http://blackpowder6mm.blogspot.co.uk/ but willing to listen to other ideas.

HC: Was going to go with 2x 20x40mm for standard infantry units (3 for large, 1 for small) but again would be interested to hear from anyone who plays.

ta muchly!

Email Extra Crispy PM Extra Crispy
Standard User
Extra Crispy
30th Aug 2015 01:14:41

The whole point of the rules being written as they are was to make basing unimportant. That way they could use troops with all kinds of different basing system in the same game. By designating unit sizes all you really need to do is play with gentlement, and have roughly equal unit frontages.

Both of your systems sound fine with this note: you may find it hard to use those troops for other games should you ever decide to do so. I base all my 15mm on 20mm wide, 15mm deep steel bases, 2 figures per base. I use movement trays to then place them on appropriately sized bases.

My standard tactical battalion of 24 figures can be split into 2 units of 12 for grand tactical games, and the "rebasing" is just cutting sheet magnet movement trays,. Using the very thick sheet magnet you don't even need anything else you can "drag" the unit by the magnet and everything holds together percectly. No need for wood or matboard at all.

Just food for thought.

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
ScaleCreep.com
DeepFriedHappyMice.com

PM badbones777
Standard User
badbones777
30th Aug 2015 10:23:39

Many thanks for the reply mate - useful advice indeed and shall take it under consideration.

PM Brasidas
Standard User
Brasidas
5th Nov 2015 12:33:22

I am just finishing painting my Romans and currently basing them up.  I alternate solo playing DBA and HC. For DBA the units are all on 40 mm frontage with varying depths but generally around 20 mm.

I want my units to be able to be based  to work on either rule system.  So my Roman legions are based 3 strips deep on 20x20 mm square base.  One of those is a tiny HC unit. Two are a small unit, and four are standard.  I haven't decided on a large unit yet but probably 5 or 6.  So a standard HC unit for me is 80 mm frontage. I use hand cut 1.5 mm balsa as the base, with stick on magnetic sheet underneath. Then I use a 40x20 magnetic strip as a "movement tray" to facilitate moving them, since it is just 2 stands per unit that way.  I make those magnet strips a bit bigger and paint the edge different colors to differentiate which stands are with each unit.

I thought about using 40x20 bases, but I like the look of 20 mm frontage when they are in marching column.  The nice thing about the 20 mm approach is that it is fairly modular, so if I were to play someone with a different basing frontage I should be able to tweak the number of stands to match.

Skirmishers are 3-4 figures apiece on 20x20 base.  Light horse are two bases of 3 figs single rank deep on 40x15 so I can put those front to back for 40x30 footprint for DBA.  Haven't done the standard cavalry figs yet but will follow this same approach. 

I am still thinking about how to modify the BA rules to accommodate 6mm, so not sure yet how I'll base those once the WWII figure lines come out. I suspect I'll keep standard approach of 20x20 squares as the default size and work up from there.  But since I don't have any other rules for that period I don't have the DBA restriction to worry about. 

PM Leftblank
Standard User
Leftblank
11th Nov 2015 12:26:43

I started with standard Baccus bases, but rebased to 40mm after a BP tryout. 40mm wide is the standard for all my 15mm and 6mm miniatures. I base like in the blog that Badbones mentioned, 4 bases for a standard unit. Good to depict squares. Can recommend it.

I

http://amsterdam6shooters.nl 

"The tin soldier melted down into a lump, and the next morning, when the maid servant took the ashes out of the stove, she found him in the shape of a little tin heart." - Hans Christiaan Andersen - The Brave Tin Soldier

PM Leftblank
Standard User
Leftblank
17th Nov 2015 04:01:42

Yesterday I found a link to sabot basing 6mm for Blucher. So, here's my most flexible basing system:

4cm wide WRG-standard (for DBN, maybe Field of Glory Napoleonics one time)

4 bases infantry per batallion, for Black Powder 

sabot bases for Blücher & FPGA.

http://amsterdam6shooters.nl 

"The tin soldier melted down into a lump, and the next morning, when the maid servant took the ashes out of the stove, she found him in the shape of a little tin heart." - Hans Christiaan Andersen - The Brave Tin Soldier

PM steve_holmes_11
Standard User
steve_holmes_11
30th May 2018 02:12:34

Still with the 40mm x 20mm (3 ranks of infantry 2 strips wide)

40mm x 30mm for Cavalry (8 to 10 troopers at the rear with officers and musicians to the fore.

40mm Square for Artillery (2 guns if you like 'em lined up dense, but one will suffice).

Units: 4 bases standard (Allows line, column, square, march column), 6 for large and 2 for small.

Recently tried 2 bases for a normal artillery battery and 3 for a large Russian battery - It looks very good and forces the PBI to leave a gap for the guns to deploy.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Little battles with Ancients by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by David Kay
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by Lanksta
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by peter
19th Apr 2024

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by bushs
18th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS