Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > Roman standards snapping off
TOPIC: Roman standards snapping off
PM HuubStegeman
Standard User
Roman standards snapping off
HuubStegeman
16th May 2018 10:06:42

Are there any good ideas for stopping Roman standards from snapping off after a while?

I would even go so far as to suggest that maybe a slight change to the mould would be a good idea: make it so the standard is actually close to the bearer's face, so it can be cast as one rather than in such (admirable but) fragile detail.

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Roman, and other, standards
Colin the Wargamer
17th Aug 2018 04:34:59

Is it possible to replace the standard pole with a pin?  I've had problems with Napoleonic flags that droop or get snapped off, so use a pin (Hobbycraft 0.5mm) as the pole, cutting off the original pole and drilling out the hands.  The replacement poles will stand any amount of rough play!  It is probably easier for me as I get a nice flag to distract the eye.

PM HuubStegeman
Standard User
HuubStegeman
17th Aug 2018 07:42:46

The thing with Roman standards is that they're not flags. They are a lot shorter and they have several emblems on them. See example. Meanwhile I've resorted to glueing them to the standarbearer's face! That seems to work.

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
17th Aug 2018 07:52:38

6 mm could not live without Superglue... and I mean it!... specially if you indulge in conversions as some fools like me indulge on... alejo dorca

PM HuubStegeman
Standard User
HuubStegeman
17th Aug 2018 08:07:00

Indeed, especially the gel kind. I've used that more than once to prop up men who had broken both their legs! Of course they will have to go in one of the middle ranks so you don't see their globby prostetics, but that's OK.

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Colin the Wargamer
22nd Aug 2018 08:54:49

Great picture - looks like a good solution to me (not really a Roman expert).  The side of the head/helmet/shako is a pretty good anchor point for flags/standards/spears, or so I've found !

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Paint for Pay by wargameGary
18th May 2024

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by LEmpereur
18th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
17th May 2024

New GNW scenario book by hwiccee
17th May 2024

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by Colin the Wargamer
16th May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS