Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Napoleonic 1808 uniforms
TOPIC: Napoleonic 1808 uniforms
PM andreasgum
Standard User
Napoleonic 1808 uniforms
andreasgum
24th Dec 2018 09:01:51

Hello all!

So I've been painting my British and French unit packs for a while now using mostly Pinterest as a guide. What I can't get past is that the uniforms seem to differ in between pictures since people upload pictures from a huge variety of sources. The British always seem to have two straps in white that cross their chest. The French, however, appear both with two straps and only one strap, regardless whether they are line or light infantry.

Unless I've completely misunderstood the details of the miniatures from Baccus, both the French and British infantry seem to have two straps crossing each other on the miniatures' fronts. According to the painting guide Peter sends with the army pack the French only have one white strap across their chests.

How have you chosen to paint your infantry?

"I have resolved never to start an unjust war, but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies."
- Charles XII, King of Sweden

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Napoleonic 1808 uniforms
Whirlwind
25th Dec 2018 01:06:40

Hi andreas,

Always both crossbelts for the British.  Usually just one for French Line fusiliers (the sword was withdrawn and the bayonet was moved to the other belt IIRC), could be either one or two for French light chasseurs.  Both for all French elite companies.

All the best

LATEST FORUM POSTS

1066 and all that by dourpuritan
9th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by milopea
8th May 2024

1066 and all that by pushing.tin
6th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by Rob Thorn
6th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
5th May 2024