Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Painting turnbacks on SYW British
TOPIC: Painting turnbacks on SYW British
PM CharlesA
Standard User
Painting turnbacks on SYW British
CharlesA
25th Mar 2019 01:20:22

Am painting a British army from SYW and am wondering how other people have painted the turnbacks and what looks best at such a small scale. Looks like the turnback detail is just a little triangle so am wondering if looks best just to paint theh triangle in the turnback colour or whether paint the turnback as the outside of the triangle and then paint the triangle in the coat base colour?

Anyone got some close up photos that could help?

Also, does anyone bother trying to pain the detail of the front turnback? I can't see that it would even be visible at this scale as is largely hidden by cartridge puch etc.

PM CharlesA
Standard User
CharlesA
1st Apr 2019 01:55:34

Thanks. I did look at some of the pictures and they seem to vary quite a lot. Hence wondering if other more experienced painters had some good tips for what looks best.

PM peter
Administrator
peter
9th Apr 2019 01:19:28

For the ones that I've painted on the site, I've worked from a black undercoat to give the delineation and sharp lines.  The facing colour is applied directly over the black in as near triangular shape as possible - in my case this is quite often a random polygonal affair, or even an irregular blob.   The nice black background and wishful thinking then makes it look more regular than it is.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM Fireymonkeyboy
Standard User
Fireymonkeyboy
10th Apr 2019 11:06:32

Hi,

I took an approach similar to Peter's.  Results can be seen here:  http://themonkeythatwalks.blogspot.com/search/label/British%20and%20Hanoverian

FMB

LATEST FORUM POSTS

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
25th Apr 2024