Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > ACW Confederates
TOPIC: ACW Confederates
PM Baggers
Standard User
ACW Confederates
Baggers
16th Jun 2019 11:39:45

Hi, any suggestions for best colours for ACW Confederates. I'm particularly perplexed by butternut, though being colour blind doesn't help!

Cheers.

PM njt236
Standard User
ACW Confederates
njt236
16th Jun 2019 03:35:02

i use the Foundry Triad paint sets.

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
ACW Confederates
dourpuritan
16th Jun 2019 04:51:09

Could I suggest you try this:

Adolphus Confederate Uniforms offers Frederick R. Adolphus' scholarly research, articles, and his book Imported Confederate Uniforms of Peter Tait & Co...as well as large images with construction detail. - Contact Us

Click on the headings New Research and Free Article Downloads  for a wealth of information, particularly the three articles from the ACW Gamer magazine near the bottom of the free downloads menu.

A little goes a long way

PM Baggers
Standard User
ACW Confederates
Baggers
17th Jun 2019 01:01:09

Thanks very much chaps, much appreciated.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
ACW Confederates
dourpuritan
18th Jun 2019 08:53:48

As many modern US articles now make apparent, many existing grey uniforms have been affected by light over the years and have faded to a pale brownish colour. This gave the impression that the majority of ordinary soldiers wore butternut coloured uniforms, which is not the case. Secondly, butternut uniforms were produced but mostly in the early part of the war. This was because the Confederate commissary had not got up to full steam and requested that soldiers' families provide them with uniforms  where the state did not have enough to go round. The rural population used readily available cheap butternut dye to colour these uniforms. By 1863 the state and Confederate suppliers were much better organised with several main supply depots across the Confederacy plus more imported uniforms getting through the blockade. Nevetheless, there was no standard grey colour - the tone varying from almost white to dark bluish grey depending on which depot had produced the uniform. Many of the imported uniform items were of the bluish grey variety (which led to friendly fire incidents). Similarly the regulation light blue trousers were rather uncommon. Many were infact captured Union trousers, and these were eventually ordered to be redyed or bleached before wearing, again owing to friendly fire incidents. This is not to say that home made uniforms and butternut disappeared entirely. Rather they became less common as the war progressed (contrary to the oft pedalled myth that the Confederate army of 1864/5 was just a bunch of ragamuffins).

This is also true of the Union armies. No two uniform manufacturers used exactly the same tone of blue, so a wargame army with every Union soldier dressed in a jacket painted from the same paint pot will not look entirely accurate (although it does look good on the tabletop).

A little goes a long way

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ACW Confederates
ironass
18th Aug 2019 03:17:47

I like yor last post dourpuritan. Exactly to the point.

PM Bradley
Standard User
ACW Confederates
Bradley
13th Feb 2020 04:42:25

Stone Mountain miniatures has great paint called Colors.  They are pretty big bottles and cover really well.   I use them for 15mm figures and would use them and will use them for 6mm figures for sure.   But they are inexpensive and have lots of colors including butternut and light butternut!   

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by jon1066
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by dourpuritan
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
1st May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS