Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Strip size and basing
TOPIC: Strip size and basing
PM zabarr
Standard User
Strip size and basing
zabarr
9th Sep 2019 05:53:58

I’m curious, are the strip sizes uniform across ranges? I’m currently painting Napoleonic British, and it looks like the strips are 18mm. That’s leaving me with a bit of a basing dilemma. In a perfect world I’d love to do 20mm or 40mm wide bases with minimum gaps for that continuous line look. Anyone have any advice for me? What’s the reasoning besides the slightly smaller strip size?

PM Igor
Standard User
Strip size and basing
Igor
9th Sep 2019 11:25:58

You don't have to base in strips. Our patent sprue cutters make it easy to separate them.

https://baccus6mm.com/catalogue/BrushesPaintsandtools/

I therve the marthter.

PM peter
Administrator
Strip size and basing
peter
9th Sep 2019 12:55:35

The strips should all measure 20mm.  However, until recently these were done using a technique which could produce varying results, slightly over and under the nominal width.   All releases from late 2018 onwards have been produced using a standardised method which will yield consistent and accurate strips.

The staff here, all of whom have engineering backgrounds, put this down to letting a man who has an arts degree do all the strips prior to 2018.    They regard this as a problem.  I have informed them that they must let the Creative types have their way.   I will let you make your own judgement...

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM zabarr
Standard User
Strip size and basing
zabarr
9th Sep 2019 05:35:25

Ah yes, I see that now. My WSS strips are 20mm on the dot, my British Napoleonics are 18mm. Is it safe to assume that the entire British Napoleonic range is similarily 18mm? Looks like I'll need to get creative with basing. On a 40mm base if I cram in an extra guy that should take up the space.  It's probably best to clip minis before painting them eh?

PM jon1066
Standard User
Strip size and basing
jon1066
10th Sep 2019 08:34:24

I clip them before and glue them to a tongue depressor with wood glue to paint them.  They easily lever off the wood to be stuck to the base. 

PM peter
Administrator
Strip size and basing
peter
10th Sep 2019 12:53:09

'Is it safe to assume that the entire British Napoleonic range is similarily 18mm?'

Sadly, the answer is 'No'.   Due to the way that the strips were produced there may still be small variance between codes.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM SeanDClark
Standard User
Strip size and basing
SeanDClark
10th Sep 2019 08:28:35

If basing by the unit, it shoudln't be a problem. You'll have at most 3mm at either end of the line (assuming you're basing in 2 ranks of 3 bases). If not basing by the unit, then some snipping maybe required to space the little men out a touch. Snipping should be done prior to painting. However, it's do as I say and not do as I do as I often snip after painting!

https://godsownscale2.blogspot.com/

The God's Own Scale Podcast can be found here...

https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

PM zabarr
Standard User
Strip size and basing
zabarr
11th Sep 2019 05:18:03

That’s my dilemma. I’m using multi base units. I’ll try cramming 9 guys into a 40mm strip. I’ll need to shave off 0.5mm of the other strips, and add an extra guy. The downside is a bit of fiddlyness and an extra 6 guys to paint per base. The upside is that the unit will look even better, a single solid line, two ranks of 27, standing elbow to elbow!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
30th Apr 2024

Bloody big battles basing by ChrisBBB
30th Apr 2024

Bloody big battles basing by Brad1971
30th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by MattiT
29th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS