Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > 1805 Russian
TOPIC: 1805 Russian
PM Theophanes
Standard User
1805 Russian
Theophanes
13th Mar 2015 04:19:21

Hi everybody.

I´m new in this forum. Also new in 6mm Nappys. I´m an experienced painter and wargamer from Spain.

I´ve started painting  two Napoleonic forces from Baccus range, one of French in bicorne, excellent miniatures, I must say.

The other one is a Russian one.

The uniform of Baccus Russian infantry in shako NRU01 doesn´t match with the information I have about 1805 Russian: the Baccus infantry has backpacks instead of that black leather roll shown in several plates.

Also the shakos have cords and the plates for this era  mostly haven´t.

Is correct the figure for Austerlitz?

I have painted the backpacks  brown because the only plate with Russian soldiers wearing them in 1805 I have found is painted brown. Could it be correct?

Thank you in advance.

PM njt236
Standard User
1805 Russian
njt236
13th Mar 2015 05:43:27

Hi Theophanes.

The stovepipe shako adopted in 1803 had the national cockade at the front with a pom-pom on top of varying colours, no cords. Grenadiers had a tall thick Busch plume. Cords were adopted in 1809. Before the re-organisation in 1807 a single white shoulder belt was worn over the left shoulder supporting a black cartridge pouch. The white waist belt was wide with a large brass buckle with, on the left side, a brown leather bayonet scabbard. Back packs were a cylindrical, black leather valise  worn on a single white shoulder strap over either shoulder. In 1807 the new black square back packs with white shoulder straps were introduced. In 1809 white cords were added to  the shako which now had a more bell shaped top. The waist belt was replaced by a shoulder belt.  Hope this answers a few questions.

Nigel

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

PM Theophanes
Standard User
1805 Russian
Theophanes
13th Mar 2015 07:07:29

Thank you very much. It confirms my concern.

PM andy110560
Standard User
1805 Russian
andy110560
22nd Aug 2016 10:02:18

Was thinking of doing the 1806 to 1807 campaign. The French and Prussians are well catered for here, but could I use the Russians in shako, given that cords were not adopted until 1809 ? 

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay
26th Mar 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS