Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Painting SYW Help
TOPIC: Painting SYW Help
PM Brad1971
Standard User
Painting SYW Help
Brad1971
31st Oct 2022 01:13:14

Back after a couple years with a new handle as I forgot my old one.  Great looking minis!   I managed to get everything painted afterall!   I have recently ordered Austrians and more ACW as well as the pony wars rulebook.   This is super late response but thanks for all the answers!   I found the seven years war project a great resource for units at different battles.

Happy painting!

Bradley

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Painting SYW Help
dourpuritan
31st Oct 2022 09:40:53

Bradley, I actually bought the Baccus paintbrush set - fantastic tips, even the no.1, but there are also 0 and 00 in the set. Secondly, you can maintain the life and tip of your brushes really well by using The Master's Brush Cleaner and Preserver, available in a small but long-lasting tub, on line from many art and model shops. Thirdly, I think it is worth putting the coat facings on, but not buttons etc. Finally don't use too thick paint. Buy some thinner or medium, such as Citadel Technical Medium, which allows for more controlled thinning than just adding water. This gives you more control over the paint when applying (and in fact speeds up the painting process), and at the same time give your brush a straight rinse in clean water every so often, to avoid paint thickenening and clogging the tip of your brush.

A little goes a long way

PM Brad1971
Standard User
Painting SYW Help
Brad1971
31st Oct 2022 09:54:05

Thanks for the tips!  I actually am now using a wet pallet and its been an amazing discovery.  Really helps thin the paint down which you are right is essential in painting these little guys.   Do you have any other tips for priming color or picking out details after priming black?   I have been doing Peters drybrush over the figure initially but have been wanting to try something else as well.   Do you do any highlights on figures this small?

Standard User
Painting SYW Help
dourpuritan
31st Oct 2022 04:06:00

A couple of things I do is use Vallejo grey primer, which is quite a pale grey. This allows the blocked in colour to stay bright. I also give flesh an initial coat of Vallejo beige brown then highlight with dots of a light flesh the nose, cheeks, chin and, if they are visible, forehead and ears, A little dab on the hands also works well. Otherwise I do not highlight, but rather use a diluted wash of Army Painter soft tone, which works for me as I have used a light primer. This produces just enough shade on figures this small. I currently have four 6mm projects in hand at the moment - Italy 1859, King Pyrrhus in Italy, Pony Wars and William III in Ireland 1680s/90s.

A little goes a long way

PM Brad1971
Standard User
Painting SYW Help
Brad1971
31st Oct 2022 08:56:39

Sound like great projects too me!  I am very excited about Pony Wars.  i think my kids and I will enjoy that quite a bit.  I plan on buying everything in the range.   Its really exciting too me.   I am scared to paint US Cavalry but cant be that much different than ACW right?  Thank you for your painting tips.   I have ordered the brush set, and plan to get a hold of some army painter soft tone.  Happy gaming!

Standard User
Painting SYW Help
dourpuritan
1st Nov 2022 09:34:34

Cheers Brad. If you buy the mine set you may be interested to know it is made by Leven Miniatures, who also make an entire Western town, including station and water tank. Also, Total Battle Miniatures produce a really nice Western town set with a base that enables you to configure the buildings for different games. The idea behind Pony Wars was Western Hollywood style, so I'm thinking She Wore A Yellow Ribbon style cavalry. However, the Son of the Morning Star depiction would be more historical if you want to go in that direction. As for the infantry I am likely to paint them up in plain dark and light blue with a campaign hat in mixed colours: buff, light brown and black. Have fun with your projects.

A little goes a long way

PM Brad1971
Standard User
Painting SYW Help
Brad1971
4th Nov 2022 06:05:34

All Hollywood for me as historically correct was pretty depressing in real life.   Thanks once again for the info on the western buildings.   I just received my copy of Pony wars in the mail and after a brief reading it looks really fantastic!   Going to have to figure out the basing.   However I have time seeing how busy Baccus is lately!   There must be thousands lining up to buy 6mm and I am glad Peter is making some hard earned money!

Standard User
Painting SYW Help
dourpuritan
5th Nov 2022 10:11:09

Indeed, the new Polish Winged Hussars look spectacular, and other pre-C20th ranges are promised.

A little goes a long way

PM Brad1971
Standard User
Painting SYW Help
Brad1971
11th Nov 2022 11:15:44

Yes he is super busy.  I hope getting married doesnt slow him down!   I hope his lovely wife supports his line of work or we are all screwed :)  What rules are you going to or are you using for the SYW if I might ask?

PM Brad1971
Standard User
Painting SYW Help
Brad1971
12th Jan 2023 10:38:26

With all of my ACW 6mm that i have painted and on sticks I decided to have a go at a couple of units of German infantrry for the SYW.   I tried the dot and dab aproach and I made a complete mess of it.  So then decided to just drybrush all the figures white.  I then did muskets,painted the cartridge boxes and hats black then the facings, flesh and silver for bayonets added a windsor newton nut brown ink wash and I have to say at arms length they look pretty good.   Up close maybe not so much but looking at them on the table I really like them so its a success!   My fears were unfounded!   At least until i get to the cavalry.....

I was also excited to see a package arrive from the UK that had some extra ACW bits I need to add.  I also got the baccus basing system which I am excited to try out.  I like things in sets that are all inclusive.  The basing set has everyting minus the figures and bases to base.  The paints I got in the last order from Baccus are really magnificent as well.  I remember the brand from painting warhammer ages and ages ago.  Best paint ever!  

Thank you Peter and dont let marriage slow you down!!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

And you thought 6mm was small? by peter
13th May 2024

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by Colin the Wargamer
12th May 2024

Lancelot - or Lancers 4 ways... by Colin the Wargamer
12th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
12th May 2024

And you thought 6mm was small? by ithoriel
12th May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS