Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Basing 2 ranks
TOPIC: Basing 2 ranks
PM ecka65
Standard User
Basing 2 ranks
ecka65
5th Mar 2020 04:00:15

Fellow figure gamers!

I'm having difficulty "hiding" the bases of the strips when I base in 2 ranks.  I prefer the look of 2 ranks with about 4-5mm between the 2 lines of strips.  Working in the gap on a 60mm base becomes problematic for me.

I can get basing sand in no problem when gluing the strips but working on the sand and painting it afterwards has been a challenge for me.  When the glue dries it isn't always enough to hide the bases.  Should I be using filler or putty perhaps?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

PM grambo589
Standard User
Basing 2 ranks
grambo589
5th Mar 2020 09:13:37

Hi, I base in 3 ranks with about 5mm between ranks. My tried and trusted method is to cover the base (60 x 30) with a fairly thick layer of good quality PVA glue first. The working from the front rank to rear set each figure strip into the glue whist adding a touch of thinner PVA to the strip bases as you place them. I then cover everything in extra fine ballast and leave to dry before turning upside down and tapping off the excess. 

Next stage is to drop ink (Vallejo Umber brown in my case) onto the front and rear of the base which will run into the 5mm gaps between ranks. I use a long handled thin brush to work it around in the gaps and a steady hand to drop into any areas where the ink has not run. Again once dry a small long handled brush will just about fit down that gap to apply slightly thinned PVA to apply the static grass. I give the base a good tap to help settle the static grass.

I think ink wash is far easier to work with on these small bases, and use PVA thick enough to set the figure strips right down into it, this should help you to disguise those strips. Btw, I always file my srtips a little before I undercoat  them as part of my prep. I also give the exposed areas of stone a slightl drybrush of off white, just personal taste.

Hope this helps in some way :)

Edit: Here is a guide I did about 7 years ago now, same method, different sized bases! 

http://napoleonictherapy.blogspot.com/p/6mm-painting-basing-guide.html

PM ecka65
Standard User
Basing 2 ranks
ecka65
5th Mar 2020 11:25:25

Grambo, bloody outstanding!  Exactly the advice and direction I needed and with photo's - and a tutorial!

Now to convince my daughter that her first born Son should be called....Grambo589.....

PM grambo589
Standard User
Basing 2 ranks
grambo589
5th Mar 2020 11:50:53

Really glad to be of some help, just takes a bit of practice :) 

Lee. 

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Basing 2 ranks
dourpuritan
6th Mar 2020 11:01:35

Ver4y useful for me as well as I am about to embark on a 1688 project, for which three ranks is a must.

A little goes a long way

PM steve_holmes_11
Standard User
Basing 2 ranks
steve_holmes_11
8th Mar 2020 08:45:25

What worked for me:

I gave up applying ballast between ranks, but add a generous helping of static grass.

Fix the first rank, apply a strip of grass, place the second rank and slide it forward into place.

Repeat for third and further ranks if necessary.

PM ecka65
Standard User
Basing 2 ranks
ecka65
9th Mar 2020 03:39:47

Thanks Steve.

I've noticed Noch does 2 types of ballast.  One is the more traditional "sand", the other is ground up fine cork.  The latter actually bulks up the base like Lee's above whereas the sand doesn't much.

I dug around in the boxes of "could come in handy for terrain one day" stuff and found a bag of brown.  Lee's Barbie lunch box looks like it has a similiar material in green and I think that is the secret ingredient that lifts the base to the feet of the figs.

PM grambo589
Standard User
Basing 2 ranks
grambo589
9th Mar 2020 09:20:39

Javis JXGSTBR Extra Fine N Gauge Brown Granite Ballast 125gm Bag -1st Class Post. 

The above is what I currently use, £2.78 via Ebay and I think it's the same grade used in the Baccus basing kit? The old (now retired) Barbie box was the same ballast plus a bag of brown flock. I just use the ballast now days. The key is to quickly set all the figures strips into the glue giving each strip a touch more glue between figures etc. A cocktail stick can be sued to reposition to taste before covering everything in the ballast and leaving it all to dry.

It's a very quick and easy method. Did these two WSS units over the weekend (Lord Hay's Regiment rode greys). I use the same for basing my buildings (Battlescale 6mm).

Lee.

PM pushing.tin
Standard User
Basing 2 ranks
pushing.tin
11th Mar 2020 08:50:13

I make my own basing mixture. Mix up paint, water, sand and pva into gloop that is the right consistency then apply with a worn out brush. Sprinkle on your favourite flock to taste, either whilst it is drying or, after it has dried,  just add a few blobs of PVA if you want patchy with the base material showing through.

there are a many examples on my blog and I've picked out a few random examples below.

https://pushingtinwargames.blogspot.com/

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Bloody big battles basing by dourpuritan
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
1st May 2024

Vanquish show 6mm game by Estarriol
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
30th Apr 2024