Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Best brush for extremely detailed work?
TOPIC: Best brush for extremely detailed work?
PM MykeCole
Standard User
Best brush for extremely detailed work?
MykeCole
12th Jul 2020 06:07:19

Hi all, getting back into 6mm work after a four year break. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for the best brush for extremely fine work? (eg. details on shields or flags, coloring horse's reins, etc). Appreciate the suggestions in advance.

PM monk2002uk
Standard User
monk2002uk
13th Jul 2020 07:40:40

Go for the most expensive Kolinsky sable brush that you can afford. I use the Winsor & Newton series 7:

https://www.winsornewton.com/row/brushes/watercolour-brushes/series-7-kolinsky-sable-brushes/

I use 000 for extremely fine work.

Robert

PM jon1066
Standard User
jon1066
13th Jul 2020 08:25:42

I use the W&N Series 7 as well but a 0 or a 1.  It's really all about he point rather than the size of the brush.  Once you go very small it holds so little paint it becomes difficult to use.

PM MykeCole
Standard User
MykeCole
13th Jul 2020 05:16:22

Thanks very much. My problem seem to be a single bristle that extends past the rest and then hooks slightly. I also notice that brushes lose their point very quickly and become blown out. Do you trim your brushes? If so, how frequently?

PM peter.mccrone
Standard User
peter.mccrone
13th Jul 2020 08:14:54

U've seen comments on other forums about fine acrylic pens, not sure if they are appropriate for some of our figures as I have never encountered them before. Be handy for adding detail to Roman shields and the like if they were suitable.

PM zabarr
Standard User
zabarr
14th Jul 2020 01:40:40

Windsor Newtons are my favorites, though I also like broken toad. I mainly work with 2's and 1's, very occasionally with a 0 if I need extra fine detail. Typically the 2 does most of the work, and the 1 does straps and highlights for tiny areas such as faces.  Be sure to take good care of your brushes, and use brush conditioner on them often, and never get any paint in the ferrule. If you do, brush restorer helps bring it back to normal. A brush shaper will help it keep a fine point as well. If you take good care of your high quality brushes they'll last years, making them a worthwhile investment.  

Don't cheap out on brushes, your time is too valuable to use shoddy tools!

PM monk2002uk
Standard User
monk2002uk
14th Jul 2020 05:27:09

0 is my go-to size as well. There is never any need to trim the brush. As zabarr noted, it is important to condition and protect the brushes. Mine have lasted for years.

Robert

PM Nick the Lemming
Standard User
Nick the Lemming
14th Jul 2020 01:25:29

I use Rosemary and Co, much cheaper but same high quality as W&N series 7. They tend to last a few years, and I've never had to trim any or had any problems with hooked tips, because I use brush soap after each use. The one I prefer is The Master's, in round plastic tubs. It's cheap as chips, lasts for ages, and does a great job preserving brushes.

PM peter
Administrator
peter
16th Jul 2020 12:57:07

I will echo what has been said earlier.  A good quality brush is essential.  That will give you a consistent fine tip which is essential.  If you do this you will find that most work can be done with as size 1 or 0.   I only use a 00 when the area to be painted requires a physically smaller brush for access.

The ones that we sell on the Baccus site are from Rosemary and Co.  Excellent brushes and ones that I have used for years before offering them as a product.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM 6mmwargaming
Standard User
6mmwargaming
21st Jul 2020 06:44:53

Good to know. I never realised you sold brushes on your site.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Bloody big battles basing by dourpuritan
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
1st May 2024

Vanquish show 6mm game by Estarriol
1st May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
30th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS