Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > bayonets
TOPIC: bayonets
PM onyrevient
Standard User
bayonets
onyrevient
1st Nov 2020 12:37:34

Not exactly painting but How to you repar broken bayonets

Thank

PM Bill
Standard User
bayonets
Bill
2nd Nov 2020 11:55:19

I have never been able to do it that will last.  You can try CA glue but it never seems to last long.  For bigger things like flagstaffs I have been able to drill out a spot and use a pin of the right diameter to replace the top part.  Usually with a broken bayonet I trim it off and make it look like it wasnt there in the first place.  If it gets bad enough I make the whole unit match with out baynotes.  

PM korangar
Standard User
bayonets
korangar
2nd Nov 2020 05:45:52

I seem to recall a user who made bayonets out of slivers of card stock which he then attached with CA glue to the ends of the muzzles.  He used them to customize his ACW figures that were not cast with bayonets.  Painted silver, they looked pretty good and might hold up better than metal joined to metal. 

PM Wg Cdr Luddite
Standard User
bayonets
Wg Cdr Luddite
7th Dec 2020 06:38:47

I recently had occasion to scratchbuild some bayonets on to WW2 infantry. The solution I found was to make them with extremely thin plasticard and attach with CA glue.

It seems to work. If you touch them by accident they bend (rather than snap off) then spring back into position afterwards.

And yes, I realise how sad it is to scratchbuild 6mm bayonets.

PM Padre14
Standard User
bayonets
Padre14
25th Jan 2021 02:43:51

Probably not the answer you are looking for... but don't bother!

In the Napoleonice period the quality of arms was very variable. I had a Brown Bess musket and boyonet in my hands about 2 years ago and the end of the boyonet was bent over from where it had hit a bone and deformed. Some bayonets were of phenomenally low quality, and according to some journals and war diaries I have read, broken bayonets were not that uncommon. A few figures without bayonets would be fine.

Also, and I say this as a serving officer, if a 'squadie' can lose something, he almost certanly will! (Says the man who lost a £3,000 night sight vision scope on the training area at Sandhurst 17 years ago!)

Roger Grafton

PM Smithkj
Standard User
bayonets
Smithkj
28th Jan 2021 12:57:47

I convert some without bayonets into halberds and company alignment flags (think they are called penons) with dressmaking pins and alfoil. Fiddly work but strangely therapeutic and adds some more colour, which helps as I am doing 1:10 so have 72 figure battalions.  I also use pins for standard and fanions, eagle sits perfectly on the pin head and allows me to have a bigger flag. Not for the purists but works for me. 

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
4th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
4th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by David Kay
4th May 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
3rd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by Talbot
3rd May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS