Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Keeping Motivated
TOPIC: Keeping Motivated
PM Brad1971
Standard User
Keeping Motivated
Brad1971
22nd Mar 2023 12:29:44

I admit I do not find painting relaxing and I do find it a chore.  But I dont like spending tons of money on painted figures and I actually am proud and happy when I get things actually done.  Right now I am still in process of basing all of those figures I painted.   The ACW project will be done as soon as I paint 30 more bases of Union infantry.   

When the ACW project is done its time to tackle smaller SYW Austrian/prussian armies.  I plan to play a lot of One hour wargames with my kids over the coming months to actually get some playing time in.

PM DuncanWB
Standard User
Keeping Motivated
DuncanWB
24th Mar 2023 11:01:32

Painting little and often is working OK for me. I will have completed 4,000 ancient figures by the weekend. Mixing this up with scenics, a bit of research and rewriting my campaign scenario after a playtesting failure! But I still have another 1,000+ ancients, a few hundred Pony Wars, a handful of fantasy figures and a towns-worth of buildings at various stages still on the painting desk. 

Altera Restat

PM diadochi
Standard User
Keeping Motivated
diadochi
26th Mar 2023 09:36:03

I try to resist the temptation to buy a lead mountain, on average just purchasing 2 packs of 96 Ancients infantry, 1 pack of 48 infantry and 1 pack of cavalry at a time.  I paint in batches of 24 figures and get them fixed to Polemos bases.  Seeing the pile go down and the finished units increasing gives me the motivation I need to keep going.  But there is a strong urge to buy more before I'm finished!

PM Captain Brockman
Standard User
Keeping Motivated
Captain Brockman
28th Mar 2023 02:37:53

6mm is still fairly new to me , however not wargaming or painting which is something i done in the past, mainly 15mm, and i recall  the thought of ton of unpainted figures always seemed quite daunting, not a problem i intend to make with 6mm.. .. yes it must be nice to buy the 10.000 figures you need for an army , but a huge pile of unpainted lead.sitting there can be very off putting..  I intend to order 3 or 4 packs at a time and only when I have those finished shall i order more, ..... BUT thats just myself knowing how MY mind works,.....

Valar Morghulis

PM Brad1971
Standard User
Keeping Motivated
Brad1971
11th Jan 2024 01:58:52

I always say I am going to buy just a few, then order more once the first batch has been painted.  Thats always the plan until I goto the catalog and place my order.  Then all hell breaks lose as I order the mountain hah

PM Enfield53
Standard User
Keeping Motivated
Enfield53
12th Jan 2024 02:08:25

Well, can't say I have that problem because painting 1000 figures would take me somewhere around 65-70 hours!  Lol.  The most I've ever been able to knock out in a long weekend is about 250, and I was burnt to a crisp after that.  For me, I've found that 12 strips at a time is my sweet spot.  If I start to get burned out, I try to switch to a fun side project or pick a unique aspect of the time period.  When regular blue and gray ACW started to burn me out, I did some Zouaves or leaders.  Kind of helped keep me in the groove.  

PM Brad1971
Standard User
Keeping Motivated
Brad1971
14th Jan 2024 05:45:03

I have bought some painted miniatures and then finished off armies myself.  3 feet away I cant really tell the difference but up close is another matter.   I really do not think of myself as a great painter and I am kind of a perfectionist so it takes me being the proper mood to knock out a bunch of figures.  I am just way to hard on myself and it keeps me from picking up a brush sometimes.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

1066 and all that by dourpuritan
9th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by milopea
8th May 2024

1066 and all that by pushing.tin
6th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by Rob Thorn
6th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
5th May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS