Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Red primer?
TOPIC: Red primer?
PM HuubStegeman
Standard User
Red primer?
HuubStegeman
17th Apr 2018 12:40:42

Hi,

While I'm eagerly awaiting my first box full of early imperial Roman legonaries, I'm still in two minds about what color primer to use. I've experimented with black, gray, white and even just Games Worshop Nuln Oil (leaving the metal bits unpainted after that). Black has definite advantages, but how about red in this case? So much of the Roman kit was red anyway, and red on black doesn't work very well. Do any of you have experience with red as a primer? How does it sit with fleshtones? Do all the faces go red like Brits on a beach in Spain? And how about metallic paints on red? What's the effect?

Any experiences and ideas are very welcome!

Cheers.

PM njt236
Standard User
Red primer?
njt236
17th Apr 2018 04:09:51

Never even considered using a red primer. I've always used black and have had no issues with colours not "working very well". For Romans you don't want pristeen looking tunics etc but a more used faded look.

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

PM DiceatDawn
Standard User
Red primer?
DiceatDawn
18th Apr 2018 11:11:09

I once bought a partially started project in 10mm where some of the units had been primed red. It was a pain to paint as any mistake shone brightly through. Perhaps it would be less of an issue with 6mm?

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Red primer?
dourpuritan
18th Apr 2018 01:07:24

Probably better sticking with white primer so colours show up, and painting armour black before going over in metal. There is so much more to Spain than beaches!

A little goes a long way

PM jon1066
Standard User
Red primer?
jon1066
18th Apr 2018 02:12:02

What about using brown?  You could dry brush the red over the brown for instant shading.  It would also give that dirty worn look and be OK for the skin tone as well.  You could leave any wooden bits as undercoat and gold would also go over it well.

PM njt236
Standard User
Red primer?
njt236
18th Apr 2018 02:33:58

Another point regarding red tunics. Having spent years in fortresses along the frontier the legionaries red tunics would have been replaced by ones made for them by the local population living in the vicus or settlements that grew up outside the fortress as they were not replaced by nice new red ones from Rome. These new tunics would have been off white undyed wool. The red tunics were more of a deep brownish red, 

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

PM peter
Administrator
Red primer?
peter
20th Apr 2018 01:41:09

I don't think that red primer will work on any level.  Succesful 6mm painting is all about contrast to get effect.  Many would disagree with me, but you cannot beat black as a base to work from in this respect.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM HuubStegeman
Standard User
Red primer?
HuubStegeman
20th Apr 2018 02:40:56

Thanks all! I've bought a spray can of Vallejo black primer for now!

PM bushs
Standard User
Red primer?
bushs
21st Apr 2018 03:14:24

I use black primer on everything, I think it works well.

Although I'm wondering whether this is the best approach for 6mm vehicles.

I'm thinking white primer might be better for vehicles as my micro armour looks darker than I'd like it to be and I primed those black.

PM I am a spambot
Standard User
Red primer?
I am a spambot
21st Apr 2018 06:14:04

I tend to use black primer for armies that have a lot of metal armour and also to re-enforce armies that I used black primer on.  (If possible, I prefer to keep a similar look for an army.)  When I start a new army, I tend to use white primer now.

I think that whether you use white or black primer is a matter of personal preference, and how the figures turn out with your painting.  I used white primer on my Austrian and Spanish Napoleonic, and both AWI armies, and am very pleased how they turned out.  On the other hand, I suspect red primer would be more trouble than it is worth.

One trick that you can use with black primer if you are worried about flesh colours, reds, greens and yellows, is to drybush the figures with white after priming.  This isn't such a necessity if you have easy access to new pots of good quality paint.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by Mort53
20th May 2024

Paint for Pay by wargameGary
18th May 2024

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by LEmpereur
18th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
17th May 2024

New GNW scenario book by hwiccee
17th May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS